Saturday, January 29, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 75

Today's song is...


Spiraling Shape


Here is a perfect example of a song that I was completely indifferent to until the day I woke up and realized it is brilliant. It's beautiful musically and lyrically. I was listening to it one day and suddenly realized that the melody is one of the most stunningly beautiful I have encountered. And the lyric "Don't spend the rest of your life wondering" struck me in an incredibly profound way. It's something I have really taken to heart. Don't be afraid to try something because you will always wonder what it would have been like if you don't. I sense that those words will someday become a permanent part of my skin.

5 comments:

  1. This is one of the first TMBG songs I fell in love with, back when I wasn't into the band but was very into a handful of their songs. I felt like "You didn't enjoy it, you never believed it, there won't be a refund, you'll never go back" was particularly poignant while I was suffering through high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? That's the lyric you took to heart from that song? Fine. Go ahead, wreck your life. That might be good.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was indifferent until it sort of hit me one day.

    One of my favorite lyrics (that I forget to mention when asked for favorite lyrics):
    "Put out your hands and you fall through the window
    And clawing at nothing you drop through the void.
    Your terrified screams are inaudible, drowned
    In the spiral ahead and consumed in the shape."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one I absolutely love. I actually heard Rocket Ship before I heard this one, but I think I like them equally (which is odd, maybe). It was one of my favorites from the get-go, probably mostly because of the splendid melody and the fact that it was called Spiraling Shape. I've never really thought about it, but I'm starting to think that my initial response to a song has a lot to do with the title. I agree with what you said about this one. Beautiful melody and magnificent lyrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, when I was really getting into Factory Showroom last year, I went to see Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" on the big screen in an old restored movie theatre for my birthday and I couldn't help thinking of this song while I was watching it. :D I'd seen the movie before, but it had been a long time and I never really made the connection. Now every time I listen to Spiraling Shape I think of Vertigo. :}

    ReplyDelete