Friday, January 7, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 53

Today's song is...


Why Must I Be Sad?


Good question. Story of my life. Ok, not really, but this week definitely. Damn you, John Linnell, why are you always getting inside my head so accurately?! I am totally one for finding my own emotions in a particular piece of music like the narrator of this song. Not necessarily Alice Cooper (I don't think I have ever consciously listened to Alice Cooper), but certainly lots of other music. Some day when it is Museum of Idiots turn to be Song of the Day we shall talk about how that song perfectly describes my life in 2005. And really who hasn't asked themselves the question "why must I be sad?" now and again? Actually I am finding I like this song more and more, the more I think about it. Fantastic bass line.

3 comments:

  1. While I really quite like this song there is one thing about it that frustrates me a bit, and that is that the vocals are recorded so much quieter than the music and I feel like my ears are straining to hear them. This is the only TMBG song I can think of where I have this problem and I've wondered why they recorded it as such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song is one of the ones that's grown on me slowly over time. I didn't have any particular feelings about it on first listen (or second, third, etc.), but I've just recently found myself enjoying it way more than I used to. The melody is starting to get stuck in my mind, and I really like the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always really, really liked this song, from first listen on MySpace Music in the computer lab on campus. I can't put my finger on exactly what drew me to it initially, but I think the first thing that jumped out at me was the line, "the rows of dandelions all around me / why must I be sad?" because I've always loved dandelions. A lot of people consider them weeds, but I consider them one of my favorite flowers. Probably tied with tulips, tiger lilies, and "march" lilies (wild daffodils) for first place. :)
    Anyway, enough botanical rambling from me. :P
    I think the dandelion line (as well as the interesting melody) first made this song stick out to me. And, like you mentioned, it has a fantastic bass line. I also just like the fact that the narrator is questioning his reason for being sad, because, though I'm not generally sad, when I am I often wonder the same thing. (As I'm sure a lot of people do, so it probably isn't even worth mentioning.) Honestly, I'm completely indifferent to the Alice Cooper references. If the last bit hadn't been put into the song I would still love it just as much. (Of course, his name is still mentioned in the chorus, but again, it doesn't mean that much to me. I just like the song, what it stands for, the mention of dandelions as a reason to be happy, and the melody.) :)
    (Dang, I sure wrote a lot for this not to be a huge favorite song of mine. Oh well.)

    ReplyDelete