Saturday, January 8, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 54

Today's song is...


Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head


That thing Megan said the other day about Four of Two having so many words in it is exactly one of the things I like best about this song. This is just a superb collection of lyrics. And, in my humble opinion, pretty much the best manufactured drum beat in the entire catalog. And the keyboard part is fun too. This is  never a song that makes it onto any of my top favorites lists, but that doesn't mean I don't still think it is brilliant. I kind of have to agree with the person on the wiki who called this one of Flans' anti-work anthems. As loath as I usually am to interpret songs, the verse about "ads up in the subway" frequently comes to mind when I am feeling disgruntled about my job.

And the video. Oh man, I could watch that one moment where Linnell sticks his tongue out at the camera on repeat for days. It makes me laugh every single time. In general though, I feel like this is more of a Flans video. The last frame of him is pretty adorable. And I love the dancing.

The first time I heard this live, I knew it was coming. I could see Dan's setlist from where I was standing and knew almost the whole show before they started playing. It was pretty funny seeing the audience's reaction to it, knowing it was coming. But as a rule, I do not recommend peeking at setlists as it spoils the surprise.


AWESOME GUITAR SOLO. AWESOME GUITAR SOLO. AWESOME GUITAR, AWESOME GUITAR, AWESOME GUITAR SOLO.

12 comments:

  1. Like you'd said, this never makes it to the top of my favorites lists, but I can't deny its... lovable nature. I'd never noticed the "too many lyrics" thing, but I think you're right. It's properly verbose, I think.

    There's something about that shot of Linnell in the video. He'd never do such a thing today, no. But the fact that he did, at some point... priceless. What's better than that particular second of the video is the second immediately following, where he grins like he knows exactly what he did.

    The video is priceless.

    I've never heard the song live. I'd like to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great song, but it's their best video. Or scratch that: it's THE best video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What makes you think that Linnell wouldn't do something like that today? He seems to do wacky, adorable stuff like that all the time. Followed by that exact same "Hehe, look at what I just did" expression. Perhaps it would not be executed with the same gleeful, youthful abandon that it was at age 26, but I definitely feel like he is just as silly, just with a slightly more mature edge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess he would. You've been to more shows than I have, so you'd be a better judge of that. ;)

    Also, I think "youthful abandon" describes that moment perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does rather, doesn't it? I think at his heart, Linnell is really just a goofball :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love this song, and I may be _in love_ with the video. My favorite part is when they're walking/bopping in a row, Linnell with accordion. I also like the hands-above-head dancing and the ending. I could watch this video all day.

    I think Puppet Head was the first TMBG song I ever heard way back in the dark ages of the late 80's, but it is forever paired with Don't Let's Start in my mind. I recall endless hours watching MTV for a glimpse of either of those videos. Good times. And I'd freak to hear this one live too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the song I'm waiting to hear live. When they finally play this I might pee my pants from excitement. The video is magnificent too. The way Flansburgh dances always puts me in a happy mood, no matter how melancholy I feel when I watch it.

    And Linnell would *totally* do that today. Remember that time he did Why Does The Sun Shine in the style of Katharine Hepburn, complete with shaky Parkinson's head? At a CHILDREN'S show? The man is silly x 1000.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unlike Rebecca, I had no knowledge of this song or video (or essentially any of TMBG's non-kid output) until last year. But I'm certain I declared this the Best Video Ever immediately upon seeing it. The combination of the excellence of the song and the, well, how do I describe the visuals? Lemme try to explain. I have grown so weary of "cool" as I've gotten older. In much the same way that cynicism is a species of cowardice that bills itself as honesty, cool is a flavor of conformity that bills itself as superiority. And one of the most cool-straitjacketed forms of art is the simple rock video. Puppet Head is one million miles away from cool. And it's two million miles away from "Ha ha, we're being so purposely uncool that you know we're cool, right? Right? Please?". The world needs to witness more examples of people fearlessly being nuts, un-self-consciously just having fun, and without it being some sort of put on. Puppet Head is Exhibit Omega.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just say how much I love what John Reale wrote above? And "In much the same way that cynicism is a species of cowardice that bills itself as honesty, cool is a flavor of conformity that bills itself as superiority" is definitely going in my book of quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As for a comment on the actual song, once again I've come in too late to say anything but a repeat of what has already been said. I love the song, LOVE the video, and pretty much agree with all that has been said here. And though I don't have the concert experience to know for certain whether John Linnell would "do something like that today", I'd like to think that he would. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. (I'm always glad if something I write strikes a chord with someone, so thanks for letting me know, Jamie!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No problem. Thanks for writing it! :)

    ReplyDelete