Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm Not Gonna Say They're Great, I Ain't Gonna Say They Ain't

"State songs, state songs, I can't wait for my favorite one"

I said I needed to do a State Songs post and here it is :-) I don't know how to describe the State Songs album except to say that is so classically Linnell. Like if I were to try to imagine the type of album Linnell would produce on his own this is exactly what I would have envisioned even if I had never heard it. Right down to the band organ.

I rather love Linnell's explanation that the state names were "just a way to create more music without getting having to get bogged down in verbal ideas." So that he can write a song called South Carolina that is actually about a bike crash. Because in Linnell's world, why the hell wouldn't you write a song about a bike crash? I've heard/read Linnell mention a few times that he frequently writes the melody of a song before the lyrics. I like to think of him sitting around with this melody worked out and needing a topic to tie some lyrics together and just latching on to the first thing that pops into his brain. Hmmm, bike crash... that'll work.

Even the band organ makes perfect sense to me, because I think, at heart, Linnell is really kind of a fan boy. And something as antique and complex and precise and really unique sounding as a band organ, is exactly the sort of thing I envision him geeking out over. And putting together this album finally gave him an excuse to write some band organ music.

One of the things that is so unique about this album is the incredible variety of music styles. From songs that essentially sound like TMBG without Flans playing guitar, to ballads, to dirges, to the peppy pipey band organ. Almost every song is a complete 360 from the last and yet there is still a cohesiveness that holds the whole collection together. You know, I think that Linnell fellow might have something here ;-)

A few random thoughts before my list of favorites. I actually prefer the versions of both Pennsylvania and Nevada that appeared on the Hello EP to the ones that ended up on the album. I find the vocal more appealing on the original PA and I like the additional lyrics in NV. "The acorn of the squirrel" and all that. I love the concept of Arkansas and the lyrical idea presented, but the song is a bit too plodding for my taste. However, this quote from the wiki is the best: "However, none of these ships have been the same size or shape of Arkansas, as such a project would be extremely difficult to build, and probably wouldn't float." I love that someone felt the need to say that. And finally, the Montana single is one of the niftiest pieces of vinyl ever created, but sadly we have never successfully gotten it to play on my record player because the state of Maine is slightly bent and keeps bumping into the arm rest. So it's a damn good thing I have Louisiana as an mp3 :-)




Here goes my list. There are six. Don't question it.


6. Louisiana - See I told you it was a good thing I had this as an mp3, otherwise I might never have heard it (well, ok, it's on YouTube). I can't fathom how this didn't make it onto the album. It is a wonderful song. 


5. Maine - No, the fact that I am from Maine doesn't make me biased at all. What are you talking about? Actually, I just really love the drums. Boom. Boom. Boom. 


4. Montana -  "A le-eeeeee-eeeeg" I just love the way he sings that. And the song is just funny. Fantastic imagery.


3. The Song of the 50 States - I love the self referential quality of this and the melody. If one was to make an argument that any of the songs on this album were just TMBG without Flans on guitar, this would be the shoe in since it's got the entire band of Dans playing on it. It is literally TMBG without Flans. Best line? This one: "The time has come for us to sing about a certain place, where everything is in the control of men who are controlling my mind." Also, I am submitting this to my list of songs that Dan Miller is uncredited for singing back-up on (this is one of my pet projects that will probably turn up in one of these posts in the near future).


2. South Carolina - Everything about the song is excellent. The melody, the lyrics, just everything. Perfect. I can not praise this song enough. It makes me happy.


1. West Virginia - This and South Carolina are neck and neck but this is sneaking ahead for sentimental reasons due to how much I love it's live performance. Linnell throws himself all in when he sings this. While I may have been a decade too late for all of Linnell's solo performances, I was there the first time TMBG covered this. Afterward, I read a comment someone made jokingly, that you could hear the Linnell-girls in the audience thudding to the floor as he began the last chorus. The only thing missing from the recording to make it perfect is the absurdly high falsetto Flans lays in of the chorus when the band does it. Priceless.




"Keeping my awake, late at night, can't get them out of my mind"

8 comments:

  1. First of all, what is a "fan boy"?
    Secondly, are the Hello EP and Montana single on vinyl you mentioned still available to purchase?
    And thirdly, I quite enjoyed this post. :) I'm very intrigued by the State Songs album, but I haven't heard all of the songs on it yet and I haven't heard the 4 or 5 I HAVE heard in several months, so I can't really participate in this entry. I remember really liking the songs I did listen to, though, and I'm very fond of the cover art, not to mention the fact that your post here has made me want the album even more, so I'm going to look into ordering it VERY soon.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand! I have been waiting for a State Songs post, mostly so I could profess my utter love for Louisiana, which is the best State Song and really should have been on the album. My list:

    5. West Virginia. This is kind of cheating because while I do love the song on its own merit, Flansburgh's hilarious backing vocals on the live version push it over the top for me.

    4. South Carolina. Pretty much for all the reasons you listed.

    3. Maine. Because I'm from Maine too, and Maine is great, and so is this song.

    2. Montana. When we were in NYC in September and we were all talking about Canajoharie and Stacy was like "I can already tell that's gonna be one of those songs I listen to repeatedly when I'm depressed and drunk, like Montana"? Perfect description of my feelings re: this song.

    1. Louisiana. Come on, man. This song is PERFECT. It's utterly Linnell, too. It's a song about an aggressive noun (a proper noun, in this case) who's trying to kill the befuddled narrator. It's an automatic win in TMBG song bingo.

    (Speaking of which: may I suggest an Audience Participation post where we come up with a game of TMBG Bingo? Because I've got some good ideas, I think.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TMBG Bingo is a fantastic idea, and I almost want to help if it would be allowed.

    Favorite State Songs in no particular order, and not even numbered:

    Gahh! I'm so happy you guys also love Louisiana! No words. Just love. I am thankful that I have an mp3 of this. "I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go," is a very Linnellian line, no?

    Montana, of course. I don't think I need to explain how perfect this song is. I once tried to explain the premise of a song to a non-TMBG fan. It was interesting.

    Am I the only one with a soft spot for New Hampshire? It's a Linnell's band organ fanboy song, and it's just really interesting lyrically as well.

    West Virginia is a song I regret never hearing played live. Like you said, he puts his all into this song.

    Maine. I've never had a coherent interpretation of this song. Apparently there are some messed up interpretations of Maine (as is with any TMBG/solo song, you know). I just like singing along to this one in particular.

    And, The Songs of the 50 States. I particularly love the verse:
    "I hear the melody the harmony the pounding rhythm
    The ideas, notes and words
    Every state, a different composition
    Keeping me awake
    Late at night
    Can't get them out of my mind"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love State Songs as a compilation, and I enjoyed reading your descriptions which I think are mostly spot on... right down to Arkansas being a bit too plodding. I really _want_ to like Arkansas more since I enjoy both the melody and the lyrics -- and it's clearly the indicated "favorite one" ;-) -- but the tempo has never sat quite right with me. I don't have a copy of Louisiana, but have enjoyed it many times online (though I haven't had a listen in awhile... maybe even since I first got State Songs and gobbled them all up).

    I love the concept of The Songs of the 50 States, and I think it's the most catchy tune on the album. And I always kind of chuckle at "Every state, a different composition/ Keeping me awake/ Late at night/ Can't get them out of my mind" since I always imagine Linnell having a sort of song-writing compulsion. It seems like he just _has_ to write music, and would be doing so tirelessly whether he could make a living at it or not. He probably really does have intrusive musical thoughts that keep him awake from time to time.

    While I really like nearly every song on this album (each so unique and interesting in its own way), it's pretty easy to pick out a few favorites. And interestingly, it seems a lot of us like the same ones. It's a tough choice between Montana and Maine for top pick, but I think I'd choose Maine. I really love everything about that song. But Montana is also fabulous -- a great example of a weird and ridiculous lyrical idea that comes off completely naturally. The Songs of the 50 States, South Carolina, and Utah would probably round out my top five State Songs. No other takers for Utah? There's something about that one that I find very appealing, musically and lyrically. And if I get to choose a 6th too, I think it would be Iowa.

    I do like West Virginia a lot as well, but have found that I've tired of it more quickly than the others. I suspect my enjoyment would be renewed if I got to hear the live version that everyone raves about. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't anyone like Idaho as much as I do? I've told people i want this played at my funeral, but no one takes me seriously. John Linnell cooing in my ear, saying we're almost there, now, play that drum roll...

    BTW, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Idaho is great! And I think it would make a very appropriate funeral dirge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sue! You should know that I read your post to my boyfriend and he was all "I do!" So you are not alone in your Idaho love.

    And Jamie, the Montana single is still currently listened for sale on tmbg.com but it says out of stock so I don't know if they'll get anymore. They turn up on ebay sometimes. The State Songs EP you would definitely have to find on ebay as it was only available through the Hello Recording Club which is long defunct.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, well that stinks. I guess eBay it is, then. I knew I'd have to learn to use that baffling site sooner or later. At least it's for a good cause. :)

    ReplyDelete