Monday, January 17, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 63

Today's song is...


They Might Be Giants


Boy! As theme songs go, I don't think they could have come up with a better one for such a undefinable band. I kind of love that I don't think I've ever heard it live the same way twice since Flans always seems to put the words together in a different order every time.

I only just realized from looking at the wiki, that there seems to be some debate about who does the spoken word part in the song. Personally, I've always thought the voice sounded like Barry Bostwick, but that's probably just me.

The building intensity in the song works so well in the live setting as they are building up to a big confetti bonanza at the end. And the audience starts hooting and screaming because "we can't be silenced cause they might be giants and what are we gonna do unless they are?"

5 comments:

  1. You should embed the bonus dvd performance from Gigantic, featuring They Might Be Dead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing this song live, and the crazy energy from the audience when they get to the frantic confetti-filled ending. "They might be fake, they might be lies, they might be big big fake fake lies" is one of those lyrics I'm in love with for no discernible reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is a perfect theme song! There's no real way to classify it, just like the band itself. And I share your favorite lyric, four of two! I don't know why those lines are so appealing either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason, I never considered this the band's anthem.

    I saw this live once, and JF told us that because they have never successfully played this song live, they changed the key. The setlist has the chord structure written on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one, too, and agree with what has been said except for the parts about Barry Bostwick (no idea who that is, I always just assumed it was Flans for some reason..) and it being great live, which I regretfully haven't experienced yet. I hope to in the near future, though. :)

    ReplyDelete