Thursday, January 6, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 52

Today's song is...



Four of Two

 Appropriate since I just finally bought my own copy of No! yesterday. I always loved the story behind this song. The inspiration found in a broken clock. And it very much reminds me of a Rip Van Winkle sort of thing. They played this at my very first full length family show. Wonderful song. But I always feel a bit bad for the poor narrator. He totally got stood up by his girlfriend and he doesn't even realize it. Also, I have always loved the image of a guy just lying down on the sidewalk because he was tired. That really strikes me as funny for some reason. And because I know someone is going to bring it up, I do prefer the studio release to the original. It's a bit less of a downer.

 

3 comments:

  1. Eh, not a huge fan of this song.


    ....JUUUST kidding. (Ha ha, I am hilarious!) I was really bitter that they played it at the Life Is Good festival because that was the one show I didn't attend even though it was within my power to do so, and of course they played it. I like how many words are in it -- Linnell does a really good job of writing songs that are fun to sing because they're kind of tongue-twisty, and this is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to this song on my ride into work this morning (speaking of which, I'm still at work and really should be working now). But I will say that I think it's really cool that this song was inspired by a specific broken clock. And I also think it's cool that its original version was altered so it could be released on a kids' album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I really enjoyed your initial response. It made me laugh a lot.

    ReplyDelete