Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Song of the Day - Day 16

Today's song is...



Alienation's For The Rich




I am forever getting this song stuck in my head. Especially anytime I see an ad for Miller High Life. But also pretty much every time I hear the song. It's just really catchy. And lately the line "I ain't feeling happy about the state of things in my life" has been really ringing true so that seems to be the one my brain keeps latching onto as an ear worm. I was just listening, the day before yesterday, to the show mentioned on the wiki page for this song, where Flans says it was written by his dad. It made me laugh. I really enjoy the melody in the bridge of this song. And I think I'll have to add this one to my list of songs I would like to hear live because I think it would be fun to see Flans through himself into the vocals on this one. I'll probably have to add it to the "never gonna happen" category though.

4 comments:

  1. I kind of love this song. Just that opening spoken line makes me chuckle a bit.

    I'm not a Pink Album person by any means. Sure I like some songs, sure I think it works as an album, but I've never really grown to love it. But some part of me wants a Pink Album show to happen more than a Lincoln show, just because the former has a lot of strange little songs. This is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song. (I think I've said that for every single song I've commented on, but it's true.) I've always thought the line "alienation's for the rich and I'm feeling poorer every day" is particularly clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Not one of my favorites by any means, but it kind of makes me want to dance like a cowboy. Whatever that means..
    I love that Flansburgh said his dad wrote the song. haha.
    And I like the funny little pronunciations he does, especially in the chours. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite lyric in this song: " My son's gotta go to art school". :-)

    ReplyDelete