Sunday, December 12, 2010

Song of the Day - Day 27

Today's song is...


Istanbul (Not Constantinople)


And the streak is back on! I could have hit random page for a year without coming across this and instead I get it in the first month.

I know this is one of the songs that fans in general, and frequent concert goers in particular, often get sick of, but I have to admit, I never tire of it. Not the recording, not the live version, not anything about it. It's a classic.

As it stands I have been to 66 shows and I believe I have seen this performed at 64 of them. I need to double check; it might be 63. (EDIT: Nope, I checked. It's 64.) But either way, it is the song I have more often than any other. And I love it every single time.

I love (LOVE) watching Dan do his guitar intro. I love seeing the horns do it when it is their turn. I love the way Linnell messes about with the pronunciation of the lyrics in a way that speaks to having performed it, literally thousands of times. I love nearly getting kicked in the face by Flansburgh as he hops on one foot. I love getting buried in confetti by the blizzard cannon. I loved watching Ralph Carney slide across the stage on his back on the tour last fall. And just lately, I love hearing Flans yell "They say we have do go, but we don't want to go" as he leads the band into one false ending after another.

Are you getting how attached I am to this live? I kind of feel like it hasn't been a proper show if I haven't seen this. The recorded version is great but it just isn't the same.

I've also been listening to these ancient live show recordings lately from the late '80s which frequently include this song and I've been enjoying Flansburgh's incoherant yelling in the chorus. Good stuff.

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I saw the title on Facebook and I was all "ohh, is it going to be Birdhouse or is it going to be Istanbul?" and alas! Istanbul. Honestly, it just hasn't been a show if I haven't almost gotten kicked in the face by Flans during the false ending. I've never been to a show without hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Flansburgh's incoherent yelling
    My brother made a mix CD for the ride to the TMBG show we went to back in October. I added a few songs to it, but still, it was his creation. He put Istanbul on the CD, which was a song I'd never think to add. Too apparent, too surface, I guess.
    On our way to the show, Istanbul came on, and my brother, our two friends, and I had a nice sing-along. However, when it came to the Flansburgh yelling/"Doot doot doo" part, they all took the latter. That part isn't quite within my vocal range, I think. So, the driver, the only girl, and the one who didn't favor this song, ended up belting out Flansburgh's part.

    It... was kind of fun to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, I like that story Erin :-) Perhaps we can convert you to an Istanbul fan yet ;-)

    Though that wasn't actually the incoherent yelling I meant. I have numerous old performances where Flansburgh screams out "They just liked it better that way" without enunciating anything, at the top of his lungs. It's pretty funny.

    But you do bring up something else, indirectly. When exactly did Linnell stop singing the "doot doot doo" part live? Because he doesn't do it anymore. And I can't remember if I've ever seen him do it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have to admit this is one of those songs of which I do tire. It seems to have saturated my life more than the other oldies, most of which I can still happily hear over and over. I'll even admit that I'm prone to skip it on my shuffle play. But I do really enjoy it in concert for all the reasons you stated, and have not tired of it live (yet, anyway). It's the one song they've played at all the shows I've attended. Dan's intro guitar is truly fabulous; I remember being blown away by that at my first show. And I love Flans' yelling and hopping at the end. Plus my kids like this one a lot. It definitely has a kid flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, /now/ I understand which incoherent yelling you mean! I apologize. I have a few live recordings, and as soon as you explained further, I understood.

    I think Linnell stopped singing the "doot doot doo" part because frequently now, they bring in a horn section/trumpet/saxophone, and the horns tend to take the part. *shrug* Just my thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha to late 80's equaling ancient. X]
    All I really have to say about this one is: YAY! :)
    I saw the video from Tiny Toons when I was little but I had no idea it was TMBG until a couple years ago when I came across Birdhouse and someone told me and my jaw dropped. :} I like The Four Lads' original version, too, but I really like TMBG's version.

    ReplyDelete