Friday, December 10, 2010

Song of the Day - Day 25

Today's song is...


The Statue Got Me High


Man, I have gotten a run of good songs this week. Can we talk about how much I enjoy the concept of a statue blowing someone's mind to the point that they disintegrate? And how much I love the lyric "The truth is where the sculptor's chisel chipped away the lie." And also what a great video this song has. It never makes it onto the top of my list of videos, but then every time I watch it I think, "Wow, what a great video." Someday I would like to hear this live outside an Apollo 18 show. Just because.

4 comments:

  1. One of my first TMBG songs. I still love it, and I regret not being able to make it to the Apollo 18 show a couple years back. And the video is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really are on a random-selection roll! I've never heard this one live, but would love to. Not my favorite video by a long shot (I think Puppet Head is still my favorite TMBG video after all these years), but I love the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It took my hand, it killed me, and it turned me to the sky." Damn good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video for this was actually probably my least favorite one initially, and because of that I guess I skipped it a lot when watching videos on Direct From Brooklyn. But the last couple of times I've watched it, I've realized that I've come to like it quite a lot. I don't know what changed my mind. Maybe it had to do with the audio commentary on the DVD, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention the first couple times I watched it and then somewhere in there I began to. It's still definitely not my favorite, but instead of being almost apathetic toward it I really do like it a lot now. And I feel the need to mention how much I enjoy the image of the Earth with a moon and teacup on a saucer rotating around it. :)

    As for the song itself, I think you pretty much summed up how I felt about it. It's a great song. It has an interesting concept and it's fantastic musically. It's very fun to sing along with. And, for some reason, I've always quite liked the lyrics "the statue made me fry. The statue made me fry. My coat contained a furnace where there used to be a guy."
    :]

    ReplyDelete