Thursday, November 18, 2010

Song of the Day - Day 3

In an effort to keep selection completely random and not swayed by my own preferences at all, I have sworn to use the first song that comes up in my search, no matter what it is. Which I now realize is going to lead to some kind of silly songs being selected. Like this one.

Your They Might Be Giants Song of the Day is...


Goodnight My Friends


I <3 the puppets! The video of this is rather adorable.

Not the shortest song in the band's repertoire, but one of.

I can't say I have any particular feelings on the song, one way or another, but I did just learn from the wiki that Pat Dillett played keyboard on it, which I thought was interesting. That brings up something I have wondered before about the puppet videos. How did they go about recording them? I mean, I know AJ directed several of the ones on the DVD but did he do all the podcasts too and if not, who manned the camera on those? And in those instances where the puppets are singing with background music playing, was the music pre-recorded or was someone else sitting in the studio playing the music live while the puppets sang? The fact that Pat Dillett was drafted to play keys on this song, implies to me that he was perhaps playing live while they recorded, otherwise, why wouldn't Linnell just record the keyboard part and then play it back while they were doing the vocals? And, maybe I have considered this a little too much. But there is a part of me that sort of hopes that most of the music the puppets sang to was live, because I like the mental image of Dan sitting in the studio strumming on the guitar while the Johns put on a puppet show for the camera. It amuses me.

5 comments:

  1. I'll often mentally substitute the words "Sweet dreams from BBC2".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard this song, actually, because I don't own Here Come the ABCs. So that is my contribution to today's entry, heh. Although I am a huge fan of the puppets simply because I think it's hilarious that the Johns are operating them, which is the same reason I still enjoy the Avatar bits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I am getting you an ABCs for Christmas. It's time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your commentary. I didn't know Pat Dillett played keyboard on this and I've wondered the same thing as to whether or not they play the music live for the puppet segments.
    As for the song itself, I think it's kind of a cute little ditty. Or however you spell that word. It's not one of my favorites, though, not even on ABCs. There are several others I love on there and even though I like this song, it's not quite in the same caliber.

    ReplyDelete