Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hypothetical Live Album

They Might Be Giants are wonderful about indulging my love of the live concert experience, not just with their frequent and "reasonably" accessible touring schedule but also with the vast quantity of live shows they have made available for download (though I must admit I have not gotten to take advantage of those as much as I would like and now find that many of the ones I was interested in are no longer available. I frequently seem to be a little late to the party with these guys). They haven't, however, released a true live album since Severe Tire Damage.

So, your assignment for today's Audience Participation: what songs from the band's live show repertoire do you think should be included on a hypothetical future live album? What songs particularly shine in the live show setting or have something unique in their live performance?

Here are my suggestions:


The Guitar (with horns): This song is amazing live. You can't not dance and hop up and down while listening to this song at a show. The solos and the improv and the crackling energy this song creates are not to be missed.

Alphabet of Nations: The live version is practically a different song, what with the bridge and all and it very much needs to exist in an official recording as such.

Fingertips: This is going in so I can eternally enjoy Dan's guitar solo at the end and Megan can have Flans' ad-libbing during Heart Attack (which he will of course do in my hypothetical recording).

Withered Hope: I need this for the kick-ass bass part and the horn attack. But someone had better make sure the keyboard is turned up enough for me to hear my favorite riff without it being drowned out.

Seven: I love the adorable children on the recording but there NEEDS to be a recording of Dan saying "It's the green house at the end of the block."

Spy: Please, let Stan Harrison loose on that sax solo and then go nuts at the end. That it all.

West Virginia: I really think the TMBG version of this needs to be released into circulation. It's like the original x10.

Damn Good Times: This will give both Dan and Marty a chance to rock out.

Road Movie To Berlin: Odd choice, I know, but this is always one of my favorite parts of a Flood show. It's all quite and pretty, then the band explodes in with a surprise attack, only to retreat again into the background.

Why Does the Sun Shine? (Pirate Version): Not that this song needs another official recording, but this can't be helped. Let Linnell do any one of his ridiculous voices or just sing like a pirate with Flans, as long as the recorder is on, I'm happy.

Istanbul: Yes, we've all heard it a bazillion, million times, but I still think the current live version takes it to a whole other level. Let Dan go all Miller Time on the beginning and the horns take over the end. And if we could get Flans to scream "they say we have to go but we don't want to go" at the end too, it would make a perfect closer for my hypothetical album.


That's what I'm going with for now. I can think of a half dozen more that I'd include but I want to see what other people's ideas are. It has occurred to me before, to put together a sort of ultimate live show CD with live versions of my Dream Setlist culled from the various downloadable shows but I don't think I actually have shows with all the songs I would want to include. It's the problem of not having any shows post-'07 except for a couple of poor audio quality bootlegs. Maybe someday.

Have fun everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with most of your choices. Withered Hope -- yes! Alphabet for sure (I recorded that one at Town Hall to have my own live version). I have never heard the band version of West Virginia, but it sounds like I really need to! I love the live version of Metal Detector, but haven't actually heard it live, so I'd add that to the list. Also Till My Head Falls Off seems to be rockin' live. And I also particularly like Clap Your Hands live since all the audience clapping, stomping, and jumping adds to the experience. And Meet the Elements, which is always great live (and just one of my favorites all around). Oh and We Live in a Dump. Okay, I'm realizing that I have so many songs that I enjoy live (or would really love to hear live for the first time), that I can't really choose. This assignment is just too hard. I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Clap Your Hands is an excellent suggestion. I was trying to come up with something worthy that had some good audience participation and that would be perfect. It always feels weird listening to the recording without being able to hear the hundreds of people around you clapping and stomping along.

    ReplyDelete