Friday, May 27, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 193

Today's song is...


Mr. Me


This song doesn't quite make it onto my Top 25 but if I were to write a Top 50 you would find it there. I love the combination of the peppy melody with the sad story. I just love the melody in general. And the tongue-twistery lyrics. The lyric "So take the hand of Mr. Me and mister, make him glad, to swim the Mister Misty Sea and cease the Mistery Misery that, mister, made him sad" just really makes me smile for some reason. I really particularly enjoy performances of it with the horns, like the one that appeared in the most recent podcast. Actually there pretty much isn't anything I don't love about this tune. It's just a feel good song for me.

3 comments:

  1. 100% agree on this one. Not a Top 25 candidate, but that line you've quoted is one of those sheer genius lines that burrows its way into your brain by mimicking speech patterns and bubbling with life-enhancing wordplay and irresistible contradictions and ironies. Linnellisms that put a smile on the day! Your wonderful blog tends to have a similar effect. Thanks! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my dear friends claims this is his favorite TMBG song. When he first told me that fact, I looked at him and asked, "Really?"

    "Every concert should start out with the--" and then he mimicked the see-saw-like opening notes.

    I'm skeptical.

    It does happen to be on my favorite album though. I appreciate it within Lincoln's context more, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you gonna tell me that you're immune to the charms of a rhyme scheme featuring an odd number of lines? Now _I'm_ skeptical.

    ReplyDelete