Saturday, May 7, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 173

Today's song is...


One Dozen Monkeys





Cute, cute cute. There is no better word to describe this song. Well, except maybe silly. But it has monkeys and cupcakes. What more could you want? My favorite part is always that the little girl names her monkey Larry. I mean, what little kid names something Larry? Just more cuteness.

I like the original version that Hannah sings just fine, and in fact got to see Hannah herself perform it twice. Very spunky kid, that one. But the real humor is always when Flansburgh sings it with his subbed in lyrics. "I am a dude, 47 years old. That's one more than 46 and one less than 48 (four dozen.)" The first time I heard that I cracked up and it still makes me smile. Especially since he has never adjusted it as he's gotten older, which somehow just makes it funnier.

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't even aware there were live performances of this song. That's hilarious! But it's hard for me to imagine liking anything more than the studio original. The drumwork, the electric piano bassline, the straight vocal rhythms laid on top of this flopping instrumental groove, Hannah's blues notes, and some of the funniest and most instantly singable lyrics make this a "Here Comes..." favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute song, but my absolute favorite is Flansburgh singing "now I am a dude, 47 years old." Makes me giggle every time.

    ReplyDelete