Friday, May 20, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 186

Today's song is...


Hide Away Folk Family


I have this old bootleg where the Johns are talking about how Flansburgh got the name of this song from a children's toy he found in a catalog. Some kind of wooden chest with a little toy family that went inside it. I should go back and find that quote again.

Never one of my favorites, but I always appreciate the "scream as if you're in hell" interlude on the live recordings. I'm kind of perplexed by the astrology report in the middle but then again, I don't know why I expect to understand anything in a TMBG song.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting tidbit about the origin of the song title! (Whether it's true or not..) :]
    I like learning little trivial facts like that, and it makes the song a bit more amusing.

    I really like this song. I think it's quite lovely. And I love the way the Johns sing the chorus.

    Haha, the astrology report in the middle IS odd. "Perplexed" is a good word. I just always assumed it's some inside joke type thing between Linnell and Flans.

    Ah, this song makes me tilt my head to the side and smile in a weird sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really like this song and always have. It kind of creeped me out back in high school, though. But it's also kind of pretty in its own way. Maybe that's what makes it so creepy.

    ReplyDelete