Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 184

Today's song is...


Cowtown


Another song I completely adore. The absurdity of this one really appeals to me. And the impossibly catchy melody. And oh, the clarinet. And I really like the guitar as well. The lyric, "The ardor of arboreality is an adventure we have spurned, we've spurned, a new leaf overturned" just kind of blows my mind a little. Oh man, such a good, fun song.

I missed the first show the band played at LPR in '08 but we were at the show in Lancaster the day before. And the only song they played at LPR that they didn't play in Lancaster was this one. Oh, the disappointment. But they made up for it by playing it at the January LPR show. I was ridiculously excited to see Linnell play the clarinet since I completely missed out on the saxophone days. And it became a regular fixture on the fall of '09 tour and ever since, with the addition of the second clarinet and some stellar clarinet related jokes, so I've seen it about a million times since. This is one of those songs I simply will not grow tired of. Thank god for that.

"Watch the clarinet."

3 comments:

  1. This song played live holds a special place in my former band geek heart as the first time I've seen John Linnell play a clarinet live.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay -- Cowtown! This one sure takes me back... right to high school. I first heard it live last year in Morristown at the family show (I think) and was pleasantly surprised since up until then I'd only heard the same few adult songs at kids' shows. Then heard it again in Fairfield. "Watch the clarinet" indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that line is pretty mind-blowing. I pretty much agree with your first paragraph. I love this song. It's fun, catchy, and refers to manatees, for crying out loud! The absurdity, the subject matter, the rhythm, the melody, the lyrical oddities, the weird screams (which are fun to mimic whilst singing along with the song) -- what's not to love?
    And I'm pretty sure the first time I ever heard this song was at the show I went to. I think I looked it up online the next day, because I had immediately liked it at the show.

    ReplyDelete