Monday, April 18, 2011

"You Open, You Close, Everything In The Middle Is Just Bulls**t"

The recent release of Can't Keep Johnny Down has got me thinking about where it falls in the rankings of greatest TMBG album openers. Many would argue these days that the album as a concept is dying due to the rise in digital music. The ability to buy individual tracks and the popularity of the shuffle feature on iPods means that having a strong opener (and closer for that matter) on your album, doesn't matter as much as it once did. But for those of us who still primarily listen to music on CDs and even vinyl, the opener is still as key as it ever was. It sets the tone for the whole album. There is nothing that beats putting on an album and just being knocked out by the opening track.

So where does Johnny land in the strong sea of opening tracks? It has some heady competition. Did it even break your top five? Spoiler: It didn't break mine, though I might be willing to concede it slot number six. Jury's still out on that.

But for the record, here are my top five. And just a note, I am only considering the actual opening song here, not sets or pairing or entire runs. I figure that's only fair since I have yet to hear Join Us past Johnny.


5. Science Is Real - It's not even one of my favorite songs on the CD but it makes such a powerful opening statement about the theme of the album and I really kind of like that it has no musical intro before the lyrics start.

4. Dig My Grave - I waffled on this one a bit, but ultimately decided that even though I think Everything Right Is Wrong Again has better vocals, this one makes more of an impact musically as a first song.

3. I'm Impressed - The crunchy drum beats and the electric guitar that open this track are like saying, hello, wake up, we are not playing this safe anymore. This is not your father's TMBG. So starts what I feel the is the band's most cohesive record to date.

2. Ana Ng - Bomp-ba-bomp-bomp-ba-bomp-bomp-bomp-bomp  Man, is there a better start to an album than that? Oh, well, obviously there is since this is number two. But this is a really, really close second.

1. Subliminal - Um, duh? This is the gold standard all those other songs are trying to live up to. In the first few minutes after Johnny was released, when Gary and I were on our second or third listen he asked me how I thought it compared as an album opener. I can't remember which one of us said it but the words "It's no Subliminal" were definitely uttered. Seeing as how this album also possesses the best closing track in the catalog, I think John Henry wins this game.


Now when it comes to closing tracks I can't yet say what Join Us will bring but it is going to have to be something really damn good to make this list.

5. Road Movie To Berlin - Something about this just feels like a last song. Perhaps it's the fact that it ends on "and we'll go."

4. Rhythm Section Want Ad - For an album that changes mood at least five or six times in 19 songs, I really like that it ends on this zippy up note.

3. Sleepwalkers - As the liner notes say, the end of this album is designed to put you to sleep and this is just the song to do it. Make sure you have your plush animals safely stowed.

2. The Bells Are Ringing - I love how this leaves those echoing drum beats hanging in the air even after the song is over.

1. The End of the Tour - Never was there ever a more perfect closer for an album. This song wouldn't be  at home anywhere else.

6 comments:

  1. I love this topic!

    It really bothers me when albums don't have strong openers, and I've always said that the only TMBG album with a strong opener is Lincoln. The Pink Album and Apollo 18 are okay, but they can't hold a candle to Lincoln. The band seems to do much better with closers -- The End of the Tour is particularly awesome, but I'm a fan of Rhythm Section Want Ad and Sleepwalkers, too -- not just as tracks but as closing tracks.

    I'm still deciding on Can't Keep Johnny Down, but I think once the album comes out, I'll have decided. One week till the EP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to think about what makes a good opener or closer. To me, you want to open an album with something relatively simple, sort of a prelude to ease you into the main offerings, but it still has to be energetic enough pull you all the way in. Closings are more varied, and can either work as the song that sums everything up and leaves you there, or they can be more like a coda, and wind down the energy to a restful, relaxing place. 

    I'm hoping you'll give me a pass for just ignoring the "Here Come..." intros from consideration and accept this list as rules-conformant.

    Openings:
    5) I'm Impressed
    4) Drinkin'
    3) Alphabet of Nations
    2) Zeroes
    1) Subliminal

    Closings:
    5) Rhythm Section Want Ad
    4) Sleepwalkers
    3) Bells Are Ringing
    2) Working Undercover for The Man
    1) Space Suit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strong openers. Huh. Ana Ng is a given. Subliminal, I agree with. I think Experimental Film is a great opening. I think that Can't Keep Johnny Down is a fair taste of what we can expect on Join Us; I feel like it may accurately set the mood of the album.

    And, may I add as a side note, that hearing Can't Keep Johnny Down just hours before I went to a taping of The Daily Show probably made my entire birthday week? April 5th did not disappoint. My actual birthday, well, that's another story.

    As for closing songs... Sleepwalkers is comforting, to say the least. Working Undercover for the Man sums up the feel of Mink Car and closes the album perfectly. Kiss Me, Son of God is a nice bittersweet way to end the album. And, of course, The End of the Tour, which goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think The Mesopotamians is a good closer too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, I totally forgot about The Mesopotamians! I agree, that's an excellent closer. Definitely in my top five.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I made a video of a three-month trip around Europe on a scooter, and the closing track to that was (and had to be) The End Of The Tour. What was even more perfect was that our last night of the trip was in Oostende, Belgium, at a campsite near a small graveyard. You won't be able to guess who was buried there.

    Yes.

    James Ensor.

    I think you can guess the song I might have used on that part.

    ReplyDelete