Thursday, April 14, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 150

Today's song is...


The Bells Are Ringing


I could point out that this is one of my favorite songs, but if you look up at the top of the page you could probably figure that out for yourself. I love the harmonies in the vocals and the melody just kind of reaches out and grabs you. I love that they actually had someone sing the "bong, bong" part rather than just using the bells. I love the way the music builds throughout the song, the big crescendo as the band enters, and the drums at the end give me chills.

I desperately wish I had paid more attention when I saw them play this at Mohegan Sun. If I had the opportunity to go back and revisit any one show I have attended, it would be that Factory Showroom show at Mohegan because I was just too new a fan to appreciate it. And that was the one and only time I heard so many spectacular songs: this one, Till My Head Falls Off, Spiraling Shape, Metal Detector, I Can Hear You, How Can I Sing Like A Girl?, Token Back to Brooklyn. Ack! Excuse me while I go cry now...

This is one of the very few songs that I have applied a personal interpretation to because I feel like the lyrics so perfectly apply to my experience with the band. I am the girl with cotton in her ears who suddenly had it pulled away and realized everything I was lacking all along. I really have dropped all businesses at hand to travel great distances to the sound that is bringing the people round. The simple key to happiness is found in TMBG. End of story.

2 comments:

  1. Y'know, there was a time in my life where I considered this a favorite TMBG song. I... don't know why. I like it though. It's intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your interpretation! This was one of the songs that grabbed me right away. Strangely (or perhaps not), a large number of Factory Showroom songs grabbed me on first listen, though few have turned out to be very top favorites in the end. Seems that often (though definitely not always), it's the TMBG songs that have to grow on me awhile that I end up appreciating the most. Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem keeping their head straight during the lyric "A voice is telling them to act a different way/ They tilt their heads so they won't miss what it will say". I always find myself tilting my head. Kind of embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete