Saturday, April 16, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 152

Today's song is...


Other Father Song


Have I ever mentioned how much I love Coraline? The book first, the movie later. There are only two authors who have earned an even vaguely TMBG level of devotion from me and Neil Gaiman is one of them. So I believe I was already pre-disposed to like anything to do with the story. And the movie did not disappoint. Nor did this song.

I'll admit I was rather disappointed when I heard that TMBG's musical contributions to the film had been reduced to this 28 second ditty, but man, they packed a punch with this one. That is one seriously awesome piano part. And the lyrics, in addition to being rather adorable, fit spot on into the story. They sound happy and loving until you realize that the "our eyes will be on Coraline" line is actual literal and they want to sew buttons on her eyes. Creepy! I also love the visuals that go along with the song in the movie. The piano that plays the player!

Coraline herself, is one of my favorite characters in literature because she's got so much spunk (see my Coraline doll, Coraline lunch box and the life size Coraline stand-up in my room). She's got a great imagination, thinks for herself, figures her own way out of a tight spot and generally makes a very excellent role model. I'm glad she got such a kick-ass little theme song for herself :-)

5 comments:

  1. You didn't mention that aside from his singing voice, Coraline's "other father" also bears a strong physical resemblance to a certain accordion player. Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's not forget that Coraline's father/other father is voiced by everybody's favorite Deranged Millionaire!

    I read the novel years before the film, and surprisingly, wasn't disappointed in the film. Or the song. And yes, what a piano part!

    On a somewhat-related note, "Careful What You Pack," written for the film, make a lot of sense in the context of the character of Coraline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a poorly informed, somewhat closeted fan at the time, I didn't know going into Coraline that TMBG contributed anything to the film, and I remember being so excitedly surprised when Other Father Song started up. Even as a novice fan (mostly of the kids' music at the time) the song was instantly recognizable. And this 28 sec gem was totally worth the $.99 I paid on Amazon for it. I really wish Careful What You Pack had made it into the film as well -- besides being a terrific song, it's so Coraline-ish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel compelled to make a comment on this one so that my icon comes up!

    I absolutely love this song, my only complaint is that it is over too quickly. My son is presently learning to play this on the piano, but the tempo and big intervals make it a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My SOTD comment was only gonna be that in my pre-fan days when I first heard this in the movie, all I could think was "Christ, is there any theme song / incidental music gig these guys pass on?"

    But my thought train was derailed by learning that Careful What You Pack was written for Coraline. That song is in my TMBG top 3. Apart from just being a perfectly constructed song (which I'll probably go on plenty about when it's SOTD), it rises above the rest because of its atmosphere, a unique mixture of wonder and threat. So it seems so right that that song would be linked to the movie, because the atmosphere of the other world of Coraline is the same mixture.

    ReplyDelete