Saturday, April 9, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 145

Today's song is...


Battle For The Planet Of The Apes


Probably my favorite of the Ape songs. I guess I have a competitive nature. I have a few recordings of this in addition to the one on STD. There is quite a funny one where they contemplate dividing that band into Yankees and Mets fans but decide that the Dans make such good People that they can't. Then of course there is the Battle for the Planet of They Might Be Giants version from Unlimited where Jim conquers all. It's a shame the Unlimited track doesn't include the introduction to that which you can hear on the original bootleg (which oddly, is also better sound quality than the Unlimited release, or at least my copies), because that is also entertaining. I think one of the things that entertains me most about this song (can we really even call this a song?) is the Dans' tendency to break into some classic rock cover while doing their bit. No wonder they always win.

"People, people, people, people."

"Apes, apes, apes, apes, apes."

Now go enjoy this amusing video of the song being performed in Atlanta. (Trivia point: I suspect that this was actually Danny's first show with the band though I have not been able to confirm that.)

1 comment:

  1. I attended the STD performance at U of Delaware, so my voice is on a TMBG album!

    Also, I gave Flans the recording of Battle for the Planet of TMBG as part of a CD of the NYE '98 show that I created with liner notes, and a year later it showed up on TMBG Unlimited with the same name that I had given it. I named a TMBG song!

    ReplyDelete