Sunday, April 17, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 153

Today's song is...


I've Got A Match


If there is one thing TMBG knows how to write really well, it's songs about failing relationships. And this one is one of the best, though only one of, in my opinion. I don't actually find this song as sad as most people seem to. I read more frustration into it than sadness, though there is certainly a sad aspect too. I think the absolutely beautiful arrangement compliments the lyrics perfectly. I don't think the same lyrics with a different arrangement would be nearly as effective or evoke the same emotional response from the listener. The more I go back and listen to the older albums, the more I realize what fantastic rhythm tracks they have and this is a particularly fine example. And Linnell's voice is in top form here.

I've read a lot of debate and speculation on this song mostly on the subject of whether or not they don't play it anymore because it makes Linnell too sad to sing it. Honestly, I don't even know where that idea comes from. I think it's low play count is only because it was being played during a period where there were dozens and dozens of shows with unknown setlists. It's hardly the least played song from the album, and there are, after all, only 6 or 7 of the 18 tracks from Lincoln that have been in regular rotation at all in the last 10-15 years. Why assume that this one doesn't get played due to an emotional reaction? (I don't mean to be argumentative. I am actually genuinely curious where this idea came from.) This of course does not mean that I wouldn't love to hear it live, but I'd also love to hear five or six of those other songs they haven't played in 20 years too. Lincoln show, anyone?

6 comments:

  1. LINCOLNSHOWLINCOLNSHOWLINCOLNSHOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this song, but I *love* the line "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time. Well, I guess that I'm gonna die no matter what." It's one of my very favorite TMBG lyrics. Like, top 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh crap! I meant to mention how much I love that lyric as well. I can't say it's top 5 but I do enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's no "I've Got A Fang". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh heeeeeelllll no, I did not miss this.

    I swear, I was just thinking about my shifting taste in TMBG's music tonight, as in, I never seem to be comfortable picking a favorite TMBG album. From Lincoln to John Henry to Mink Car, depending on when you ask. And tonight, indeed, I was thinking about Lincoln, and how well constructed it is. But, however, this song did not cross my mind.

    Why, you ask? Well, truthfully, I don't know. However I can say that lyrically it may be one of my favorite JL-written songs. The line Megan brought up is a favorite, as is the chorus' "You think it's always sensitive and good/You think that I want to be understood." The lyrics are sort of... harsh, I guess.

    As for the concert count, I was enthralled to find a live recording of this song. I think I may even have two.

    And speaking of Lincoln shows... remember that one time I tried to compile an artificial Lincoln show out of live tracks? That was fun. I still hope a Lincoln show will happen. Eventually. Because it's too good of an album to pass up as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This song is sad? Hmm. Never really saw it that way. Failing relationship, yes, but it doesn't feel particularly sad to me. Maybe it's because some of the lyrics are kind of light-hearted and funny. Or maybe because I listened to it a lot back when I was 16, a time when I placed TMBG squarely in a "weirdly alternative" musical genre. Despite their sometimes grim (even morbid) lyrics, nothing they did seemed particularly sad to me back then. They were my happy band. Well -- they're still my happy band, but I definitely don't pigeonhole them as I did back then.

    Lincoln Show -- yes!

    ReplyDelete