Saturday, April 23, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 159

Today's song is...


Thunderbird


"I remember now, I remember now..."

This is never a song I would have included on my list of top favs, but after having just listened to four different versions of it, back to back for comparison purposes, I am reminded that it is a really excellent song. I like the really driving guitar part in particular and the keyboard. And I have always enjoyed the twisted around Beach Boys reference at the end. I was surprised to discover, when I went looking, that there are no videos of them performing this (at least that I could find). I've seen it twice, one of which was at LPR which was like camera central, so I really would have thought someone would have had a camera on. Or maybe they did and I just didn't find it. Anyway, I was looking because I was also reminded, in listening again, that this is one of the songs that I am pretty convinced Dan sings back-up on, on The Spine recording, and I wanted to see if he did live. But no dice, and there are no backing vocals on any of the older live performances I have so I may never know.

It's interesting with a song like this to be able to see it's evolution over time. From live recordings in '99 through the DAS version and the demo to what finally ended up on The Spine and was performed on The Spine Hits The Road tour. I can understand why some people were disappointed with the final result having gotten used to the early version, but I find that the core of the song didn't really change enough for me to have a strong opinion either way. I definitely like the final result more than the demo.

I also find that I really like the lyric "To get the whole sky, on the ground you have to lie."

4 comments:

  1. Really like this song and am enraged that I don't clearly remember them playing it at my first show. I may never forgive myself. And yeah, the "we'll have fun fun fun until T-Bird takes her dad away" line is stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song is definitely among my favorites. It really grabbed me from the very first time I heard it. My 2-year-old went through a long phase of loving this song last year and singing it a lot around the house, though she often sang it as "Funderburp". In fact, given yesterday's FB posting of that incredibly adorable 3-year-old singing and drumming "Older", I was _just_ thinking of the video I caught of Phaedra singing Snail Shell and Thunderbird while sitting on the potty. Kelly, I know you've seen this one, but if anyone else digs kids singing TMBG, you can check it out here:
    http://youtu.be/OWWrrzpSbv4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one as well. It may not be in my top favorites, but it comes pretty close. (Not that that really means anything since I have so many. But it does mean something. I just can't explain it. Ignore this parenthetical insert.)

    I love the lyric you mentioned, especially with the two lines before it.
    And for some reason I find "maaaaaan oh man, my throat is dry / maaaaaan are you thinking what I / aaaaaaam? Well what about it then" eternally catchy.
    I also like the word "desist" and I love the rhythm and tempo of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my third favourite song of all time!

    ReplyDelete