Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 135

Today's song is...


Sleepwalkers

I really thought I had already done this one, but the search thingie tells me no. I think it is because we were discussing it on the forum and I remember having the debate over whether the xylohoney type music is manufactured on a keyboard or played on an actually percussion-type instrument. And then, if so, who was playing said instrument? Does anyone know what that instrument would be called if it were in fact real and not manufactured on a keyboard? Cause xylophone is not the right one. What ever it is, it's beautiful.

This is one of my favorites of the children's songs. It is just a beautiful, beautiful song. If Bed Bed Bed is the bedtime song that wont put your kids to sleep, this is the one that will because it has that wonderful sleepy quality. There is also something quite haunting about it as well. This is one of a few songs where it is really striking how uniquely lovely Linnell's voice is. I love how it's a quiet little lullaby most of the way through and then crescendos on "we don't know what it is."

I have seen a few beautiful live performances of this one (I just keep using "beautiful" on this entry. It is the only appropriate word.) The rhythm created by the three guitar players is really captivating. It's something you just have to see/hear. And if you can take your eyes off Linnell long enough (which is really a challenge because he just sucks you in with his performance on this one every time), watch the way Dan Miller bobs his head while he plays because it's really entertaining.

I would also be remiss if I did not mention the video of this song that appears on the ABCs DVD. Secret truth: I am probably more fond of the live action videos of the band on that DVD than I am of the majority of their rock videos. The Sleepwalkers video is so intimate in the way it is shot and performed, it's like getting a private performance in your living room with the guys all lounging on your floor. Linnell, in his stocking feet, Dan, the only one who looks like he isn't half asleep, rocking his head to the rhythm, Danny, yawning in the background. And that strange bit where Linnell mysteriously stops singing. I wish I could link it here for you all to watch but, it sadly has not been provided online for viewing. So instead, please enjoy Kathy's lovely video from LPR where the band put the audience on alert by opening with this little played song, signaling the start of one of the best setlists I have yet seen performed. This was the one and only LPR show where I was in the front row, tucked in by Dan's feet. To say it was an awe inspiring experience would be an understatement.

4 comments:

  1. There is something entirely comforting about "Sleepwalkers," and it has nothing to do with sleep. "Sleepwalkers" has one of my favorite Linnell melodies (Linnellodies?) ever, and the studio track has bass clarinet. Sadly, I've never heard this played live, which is a shame because it's probably within my TMBG top 20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linnellodies ought to be in the dicitionary, Erin!
    I love "Sleepwalkers" for all the reasons you've named, Blue Canary, and a few of my own. I love the way Linnell does the little surreptitious swallow as he waits for the syncopated beat bit sometimes and closes his eyes so you know he's seeing the whole dreamy scenario in his mind's eye. Like you said, he sucks you right in every time. Love the way in "Gigantic" this is the song featured when Ira Glass is explaining the special appeal of JL's stage presence, made all the more captivating by his being "deeply shy". Thanks for such a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linnellodies. That's a great one. :-)

    I too really love this song (it was the first of the kid songs to really suck me back into the band). And the video on ABC's! Coincidentally, we were just watching it this past weekend for the first time in awhile. I just love, love, love that one. Danny yawning is precious. John was teasing me because I was apparently smiling the entire time this video was on. But really, what's wrong with that?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I can't claim that "Linnellody/Linnellodies" is a word-invention of my own. I've heard it somewhere. But thanks.

    ReplyDelete