Friday, March 18, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 123

Today's song is...


Bed Bed Bed





This has been a week of really good songs (well, maybe except for Wednesday). I think the randomizer has been celebrating the fact that I've been on vacation. And today is no exception. It's the bedtime song that does not really prepare your child for bed because it's a little too energetic. At least the original version. But 100% of my fondness for this song comes from it's live performance.

I love all the sound effects Linnell creates on the keyboard, especially, for some reason, the toothbrushing sound. And if I love the sound effects, I adore all of Marty's noisemakers. Watching him cycle through horns and kazoos and cymbals and slide whistles is one of the highlights of any family show for me, culminating in him standing on his stool at the end for the world's smallest cymbal crash. (Incidentally, we never noticed until he started playing the clear drum kit and we could see his feet, how incredibly perilously he is balanced on that stool when he does that. Brave man.)

Then of course there is the requisite canon fire as Linnell cries "Goooooooooo" and you know how I love anything involving confetti. And the numerous times I have seen Flans steal Marty's horn to bring it out and honk it into the mic and then hang it on the end of his guitar. And my newest favorite, what Megan has dubbed Flans' drive-by solo, where he pauses in front of the keyboard to twang his guitar as Linnell sings "I practiced the guitar". There are just so many things to love about this song.

So, in honor of the last day of my vacation, I am having a contest! Your task is to find the best video of this song being performed live. It can be from any time, any venue, even radio or television appearances. It just has to be the most superior performance you can find. Post a link to the video in the comments and I'll pick a winner. The prize is a live show bootleg of your choice from my collection. Happy hunting!

4 comments:

  1. This is a great video of Bed, bed, bed, shot by Valerie2776 at the New Hazlett theater in 2010:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJTNPfPJdH8

    My favorite bit is where Flans helps out by using a fan to blow the confetti off Linnell's keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fan confetti confetti fan thing was hilarious and adorable

    here's my pick http://soundcloud.com/valerie2776/bed-bed-bed-wnyc-live this is from a wnyc radio performance/interview from 2003

    - non-soporific
    - linnell's weird aaaawwwww throat poppy thing on the end of the extended goooooooooo
    - flans's pledge spiel
    - that's it

    ReplyDelete
  3. regarding cathy's clip i would like to apologise for that lone comment on the video.
    anyway, here we go, TMBG on TSS (it's the first ~2 minutes, 30 seconds):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te4WC7tP0pc

    WHY THIS CLIP IS THE BEST CLIP (besides the fantastic performance, of course):
    *Randomly smiley Flans
    *Awesome Flans guitar
    *"GOOOOOO" (I guess this applies to every performance but this instance is especially great, in my opinion)
    *John's TV shirt
    *"It's the thing that does this"
    *Dan Miller on acoustic guitar, yo

    ReplyDelete
  4. After careful deliberation I have decided that Apollo is the winner based on Linnell's face while he sings "goooooo", Dan's complete lack of participation in any of the conversation in that video and the presence of the Astroids arcade game in the background.

    However, I think Valerie deserves special commendation for not only submitting an excellent performance but also filming the third entry. So I am going to award Apollo two, that's right, TWO shows for being the winner and then Valerie can choose one as well. The list is over in the side bar on the right. Email me at theroommustlistentome@gmail.com with your selections and I'll send you a link to download them.

    Also, I must commend Cathy on choosing a fabulous video as well and the only one that actually included Marty and his noisemakers, but I must admit, I have rather painful memories of that show which sadly counted against it. Despite the fact that both Linnell and Danny are wearing my favorite shirts. But Cathy's already got all my shows anyway so I don't feel too bad ;-)

    ReplyDelete