Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 120

Today's song is...


Hovering Sombrero





A perfectly beautiful song in everyway. By any other artist this would be a mundane song encouraging someone to feel better about themselves and it would be sappy and none of us would listen to it. By John Linnell, it's about a piece of floating Mexican hat wear with low self esteem that needs to be reminded that it is remarkable. And it is profound and beautiful.

Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way, but one of the things I have always observed that many TMBG fans have in common is a tendency towards low self esteem and depression (myself included). It might just be because of the geek appeal, as those are common problems among the geek set due to social awkwardness, bullying and any number of other reasons, but I really believe there is something about the music that particularly appeals to people with these emotional issues. I think it's the happy but sad thing. The songs have these dark lyrics that these fans can really identify with emotionally but in this happy musical package that's like the songs are musically saying it's going to be OK even though you feel like this. And personally I think the best part is that the music brings these fans together so they know they aren't alone and creates an incredibly supportive environment for them to exist in (or at least that's been my experience with all of you).

I don't know that I explained my feelings on that well at all, but the point I was trying to get to is that I feel like this song is an ode to all of those fans. It's that reminder that there is something remarkable about every one of us and not to get burdoned down by the bad stuff. Basically, who hasn't felt like the hat being sung to by Linnell at one point or another.

And it is such a beautiful song. I said that already, I know. But I really mean it. There are dozens of songs I love but very few I would call truly beautiful. The melody, the guitar, the bass, the drums are all so wonderful and layered together so well. As you peel each back you discover another hiding underneath. And I'm not sure I've ever said this about a song before, but I really love the backing vocal on this track.

I also adore the QuickCam video for this song, with Linnell slowly spinning around the airport or where ever they are and all the guys just sitting there with their bags.I actually prefer that one to many of their professional music videos. It is simple and perfect for the song.

8 comments:

  1. I adore the Q-Cam video for this song. I want to curl up in it when I'm sad. It's totally fitting for the lyrics. And yes, this would be unbearable by any other artist, but Linnell gets away with it because... why? I don't even know. Because it's about a sombrero? This is by far the most comforting song in my extensive iTunes library and sometimes I laugh at myself when I'm listening to it because it's about a SOMBRERO, for God's sake, but it's still nice and reassuring and etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the second verse imagery with the blowing calendar pages on the lawn is actually quite poetic. Then again, I'm a Philistine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, I love the lyrics. Perfect comfort/make-yourself-smile songs. You're never only just a hat, you know. I love this song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I just wanted to congratulate you on how beautifully eloquent you were in your observations on the emotional characteristics of many TMBG fans. Your words resonate with me profoundly.

    And Mr Linnell is simply beautiful in the quick-cam video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cathy, that means a lot, especially I was worried that my assessment might not sit well with everyone. I was as much talking about myself as other fans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My absolute favorite John Linnell song ever. You have lovely observations, it is profound and beautiful. And yes, the TMBG fandom is suffused with people who, if they haven't suffered low self-esteem, certainly have compassion for those who have and do.

    It's also just a lovely tune, and a joy to sing along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I don't even know what to add! All of you have said everything that I would want to say except that you said it in a coherent way. LOVE this song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, very beautiful song -- musically and lyrically. From first listen, it's been among my favorites. I actually was familiar with Hovering Sombrero '05 first, and thought it was adorable. Then when I finally acquired Mink Car (and all the other albums I'd missed), I saw where that little bonus track had come from.

    ReplyDelete