Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Say Your Cup Of Tea Is A Wall Of Trombones

We've talked about favorite songs in multiple different ways before, but today I am taking a new approach. A much more specific approach. There are plenty of songs I love for the whole song, as a product of all of it's parts. But there are others I find I love especially for one specific instrument. You know those moments in your favorite songs when you are just waiting for a specific guitar riff or drum pattern and you can't help rocking out all by yourself when it starts playing? Yup, those are what I'm talking about.

So I have compiled for you a list of my favorite songs featuring each of TMBG's primary instruments. I went with four. You can do more or less as you see fit. I picked out guitar, keyboard, accordion, bass, drums, and a general category for hornish things. You can of course add others if you really feel like have a sax list or melodica list or whatever other instrument you see fit. Also, you can totally have the same song on more than one list. That is definitely allowed.


Guitar - This may have actually been the hardest of the lists to compile because, except for some specific intros and solos, I don't really have favorite guitar songs.


-Fibber Island - Acoustic guitar. So pretty. The intro is the best.

-Letterbox - The super fast strumming pattern is one my favorite things about this song.

-Sensurround - I can not help bopping my head to this guitar riff. Doing it right now.

-The Guitar - They don't call it that for nothing. That guitar riff is iconic.


Keyboard 


-Flying V - Beautiful intro and it just continues right through the whole song.

- Alphabet of Nations - Again with the intro. What is it with the album and awesome keyboard intros?

-Meet the Elements - This may have very well make this list just from the last couple of bars.

-Withered Hope - I have talked ad nauseum about the piano riff from this song. It is my very favorite thing in all of the TMBG catalog. It fills me with joy and glee every time I hear it.


Bass - If the guitar list was the hardest to fill, this one is the hardest to cut short. So many good bass songs.

-Take Out The Trash - Do you like the fuzz bass? Do you love the fuzz bass? Are you ready for the fuzz bass? Why yes I am!

-The Guitar - This song is just favorable to anything with guitar in it's name.

-Museum of Idiots - Wasn't I just talking about the bass in this song? I was wasn't I.

-Till My Head Falls Off - Oh my god, best bass. And that solo. Yum.


Accordion


-Drink! - The accordion really is the key to making this sound like a drinking song.

-Four of Two - I kind of picture the accordion here being performed by a street performer on the opposite corner from the guy waiting under the clock.

-The Famous Polka - Do I really need to explain this? Nope.

-Subliminal - The intro to this is maybe my second favorite thing after the Withered Hope riff.


Horns


-Cowtown - Clarinet for the win!

-The Guitar - (again) How many times have I said this song was meant to have horns? Because it needs the horns!

-Seven - Euphonium. Love that oompa oompa noise.

-Museum of Idiots - The only thing better than the bass in Museum of Idiots is the horns.


Drums - Here is the thing about the drums. I realized when I was compiling my list that all my favorite drum songs feature artificial drums and that just doesn't seem right. So I went hunting and found some tracks with live drums that I like too but now I have to make two separate lists.

Drum Machine/Loops

-Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head - I honestly believe this song would not be nearly as good with a different drum track.

-I'm Impressed - Killer rhythm track. Thank you Dust Brothers.

-Rhythm Section Want Ad - This would have been so lame with a crappy drum track.

-Birdhouse in Your Soul - It is the rhythm track in this song that starts you head banging in the beginning and keeps you hopping throughout. I love how it kind of rolls into each measure.

Live

-Road Movie to Berlin - Those crashing cymbals. I love me some cymbals. Also, props to the tambourine.

-Meet James Ensor - Have you ever really listened to the drums on this song? Because I hadn't and I just realized they are excellent. Why did I never notice that before?

-The Cap'm - Just a good old classic rocking drum beat.

-Damn Good Times - When searching for the best drum songs, look for the ones where the drummer has been given a writing credit first. And there you shall find salvation.



I have a very strong feeling that while I was writing this I forgot about half the songs I wanted to include. I was going to do five in each category but then I couldn't come up with five in every category and I am sure I am missing some doozies and I will smack myself when you remind me of them. I am also looking forward to someone pointing out at least one excellent instrument part in a song that I have never noticed before.

You may also be thinking that I have made a terribly glaring omission given how often I profess my undying love and admiration of the bass line in Ana Ng. But the thing is, the one I love does not exist on the recording. There is a mere shell of it. It doesn't even exist in older live recordings with other bass players. The part I love is entirely a product of Danny's creation. He took it and made it his own and made it into something truly special. Same goes with the bass on Withered Hope. It's good on the recording. It is nothing to what it is live. Maybe one of these days I'll do an entry on songs that are better live. Or just on the evolution of live performances of songs. The history of Istanbul in 62 recordings. Another time.




3 comments:

  1. Usually, listening to a great song makes me wish I sang in a rock band. But Dark And Metric and Why Must I Be Sad make me wish I played bass in a rock band. I could probably do all the categories in a similar fashion, but another time. I'm losing consciousness as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I give you both of those as excellent bass songs :-) Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with so many of the selections that you made in this entry Blue Canary that I only have a few extras to add. But here they are:

    Keyboard:
    Coraline - How does he move his fingers so fast wonders poor non-musical me?

    Accordion:
    Mas Fun - Such a bouncy, breezy, happy tune.
    Louisiana - Gorgeous melody.
    I've got a match - I love it when the accordion meanders in during verse two.

    Guitar:
    Out of jail - The guitar 'outro' on this is a favorite.

    Clarinet - Reprehensible. No explanation needed.

    ReplyDelete