Saturday, March 26, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 131

Today's song is...


Spy


This is one of those songs that, in my opinion at least, has a great beginning and a great end and kind of a throw away middle. It's got that great opening riff and little is funnier than watching the Johns conduct the band at the end but much of what happens between those two points is rather forgettable. Live, the song is a great vehicle for Stan Harrison to show off his impressive chops. And like I said, the conducting portion is, in the few times I have seen it, one of the best pieces of improv the band has put together. The look on Flansburgh's face alone while conducting in Fairfield was worth the price of admission.

I used to complain to Gary all the time that this was the song he had seen the most often that I had never seen at all (I think he'd seen it five times). Then they started to play it at one of the spring of '09 LPR shows and he hit me on the shoulder. I looked at him blankly. He was like "Are you happy now, it's Spy?!" And I went "ooooooooohh". I hadn't even recognized it. And that is my terrible fan story for the day.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Why Does The Sun Shine? version of Spy a lot better than the John Henry one. I definitely agree with everything you said about it in regard to the latter, but for some reason I seem to adore the WDTSS version, even though they're not really very different. I am not really sure why I decided to comment this.

    ReplyDelete