Monday, March 28, 2011

Join Us In Counting Down to Join Us (The Preview)

It is an exciting time in They Might Be Giants land. As of today, we are 29 days out from the release of the four song preview of Join Us. If you are anything like me, you have April 26th marked with big red letters on your calendar.

I wanted to do something here to count down to the preview and bandied about a few ideas. At first I was going to just post a run of my favorite concert pictures, as suggested by Megan, but then I thought of a way to make it much more interesting. So for the next 29 days we are entering April Madness, complete with elimination brackets and competition and sports analogies I barely understand!

Here's how this works. I am going to start with a pool of 32 live concert photos. I am going to pair them up at random in a series of brackets and post the photos here in those pairs. Then you, the people of Giant land, get to vote on which one is your favorite. The winners move onto the next series of brackets and the competition starts again until a final winner is chosen on the last day before the preview. You'll have a couple of days to vote on each set of brackets before the next batch is posted, so you'll have plenty of time to send all your friends to stuff the ballot box for your favorite.

I need everyone's help selecting the initial pool to get started though. I think my own 2000 some odd concert photos should be a large enough selection to pull from. However, if any of you have photos of your own that you are particularly proud of that you would like to throw into the mix, then please, feel free. What I'd like you all to do is take a stop by my Flickr page, pick out a few of your favorite shots and send me your selections at theroommustlistentome@gmail.com. You can pick as many as you want. I'll narrow down the selections if necessary or add in some of my own choices if I need extras. No restrictions on your selections at all, just the ones you like the best. And if you'd like to include any of your own pictures, toss the links into the email as well. If you don't have time to wade through all those pictures, I'll also take requests too, either for a particular picture you've seen before by description, or just for a type of picture (Linnell making goofy arm pose, Dan's singing face, Flans wearing a cardigan, etc).

You have three days to send me your initial selections and then we shall get this rumble started!! And here's the real kicker. If this turns out to be as fun as I think it might, I'm going to do it again to countdown to the release of the actual album, except then I'm gonna do song brackets! Birdhouse versus Puppet Head in the ultimate battle. It's gonna be epic. This picture game is just a warm up ;-)

So remember, visit Flickr (I've made a big clickable link at the bottom to make it easy for you), send me your list of selections at theroommustlistentome@gmail.com (by Wednesday please) then come back and fight for your favorites. Join Us!


http://www.flickr.com/photos/mynameisbluecanary/

2 comments:

  1. Fun, fun, fun! I will make it a priority to look through your pics before Wednesday and send some nominations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I wrong in thinking that you chose your favorite shot from each show to represent its respective set? I nominate those.

    ReplyDelete