Saturday, March 12, 2011

Song Of The Day - Day 117

Today's song is...


Wicked Little Critta

I've always wondered if this song makes any sense to anyone who does not live in the Boston area. Because as a Bostoner, for the last 12 years, it's pretty spot on funny. Linnell's put on Boston accent is pretty perfect if a little exaggerated. And there is something about the backing track that I really like.

My favorite memory of this is the first time I heard it. It was at a college show at WPI, and they made some kind of joke about needing to play it because they were in Massachusetts. Linnell messed up the words at the end and skipped the "way to go" line. He obviously debated putting it back in out of order but decided that the next line, "I've got problems" pretty much explained everything.  

3 comments:

  1. Fun song, sunny song, although barely a song, just kind of three 40-second musical ideas smooshed together. But in the final "verse" ("He's a dink..."), the vocal track is a split second delayed from the percussion track (or actually, I suspect the percussion track might be early, despite how unlikely that is) and it sours the whole ending for me. Or as Brian Krakow said while helping Angela's dad hang wallpaper, "Those morning glories aren’t lined up. Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It’s, like, destroying me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure don't get (most of) the Massachusetts references, but I do think it's funny. Ending a song with "I got problems" is automatically humorous. I'd never consider this a favorite, but I do think it's a well done effort. Mink Car seems to be the album of brief, humorous, Linnell-written songs

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first bike had a sissy bar, so I always feel like this song is a tiny inside joke between New Englanders. I like those little reminders that Flans and Linnell spent their formative years here.

    ReplyDelete