Monday, February 7, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 84

Today's song is...


Lullaby to Nightmares


Sorry, just couldn't force myself to spell it wrong like it is on LTW. Have you guys all heard the original Hello The Band recording of this sung by Joshua Fried? Because, except for the horn arrangement on the LTW version, which I quite enjoy, I think I prefer the original. The LTW version has a very late 60s sound to it, what with all the "bup-bup-bup-bup-baaas" and the horns. The original sounds a little... creepier (not sure if that's the word I am looking for) which I think fits the tone of the song better.

Also, completely unrelated to the song itself, I went to listen to both versions on my iPod before writing this so I could make an accurate comparison, and I had it set to just play songs in alphabetical order (which I never do or I would just end up listening to Istanbul for 4 hours straight due to the 45 different versions that are in there). I was doing something else and let it run after the second version played and the next song in the list was Lumberjack, one of the more ridiculous (in my opinion) offerings from Marty's band Meow. So I got a good accidental chuckle out of preparing this entry. Bonus!

4 comments:

  1. lol @ 4 hours of Istanbul.

    I don't own Long Tall Weekend (oh well), but I know the extended version of this song on Podcast 27A. I enjoy it.

    Also, I've been thinking: Song of the Day #100 better be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, first: I really, really, really love TMBG but I would have no use for 45 versions of Istanbul. Seriously. :-)

    Second, I peeked at this SOTD briefly earlier today while at work but didn't have time to comment. And then I forgot what the song was until I checked back much later, but should have been able to guess since I was humming it all afternoon and evening. Duh. I cannot tell you how frequently this blog's SOTD becomes the SOTD in my subconscious mind.

    Third, I only know the LTW version of this song, so now I'm curious to hear the Hello The Band version. Creepy would definitely suit this song. I really enjoy the LTW version, though. I really enjoy that entire album, actually.

    Finally, I think SOTD #45 should have been Istanbul. Lost opportunity there. And yes, SOTD #100 must rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of the 45 are live recordings from the 80+ TMBG shows that are on my iPod so they mostly stand as part of their larger recordings when I play by album rather than by song.

    And you guys seem to be implying that you'd like me to purposefully select an awesome song for #100 because there are no guarantees if I use the randomizer. But your wish is my command. I'll come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this creepy song and its LTW-version-late-60's-sound. :] I've never heard the other version.

    ReplyDelete