Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 79

Today's song is...


Graveyard


Once again, not sure this totally qualifies as a song, but I'm going with it. I know there have been a lot of versions of band introduction music over the years but until very, very recently this was the only one I'd ever known, so it is rather near and dear to my heart. And yet it always makes me a little sad because it means the show is almost over.

Does it make me weird that I really love the band introduction portion of the show? I think it has to do with the ritual of the thing. Whooping for Dan Miller and perpetually feeling bad for him because he doesn't have his own intro gimmick thing like the other two guys and only ever gets a short little solo (I've always assumed this was because he gets so many solos throughout the show). Chanting "The bass, the bass, the bass is Danny Weinkauf" over and over and laughing at the crowds that mumble off the end of the chant because they aren't all that confident of his last name. And I love that little, "I can't hear you" hand to the ear thing Danny tends to do. And my favorite part, screaming my bloody head off for Marty while he attempts to wreck his one good drum kit. There have been nights where I went home with a sore throat after that part and wasn't a bit sorry. And I have, in fact, seen Marty nearly destroy his kit, standing on it and kicking the crap out of the thing while he played. Damn good times.

So yeah. I'm quite fond of this song thing.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think liking the band intro is weird at all! I love that part of the show too -- I look forward to it every time. Getting to chant, scream, and cheer in appreciation for each member feels really great. It's the least we can do. :-) Funny, though -- I've never felt bad for Dan. He seems to have his own, more subtle style and his guitar solos speak loudly enough. I sometimes wish the Johns would get more of an intro than just 'he's John and I'm John", though. Doesn't permit much time to funnel appreciation directly at them. But I guess they probably know they're appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am particularly a fan of "The bass, the bass, the bass is Danny Weinkauf." :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, LOVE Graveyard. It is both the best and worst part of the show, because it's so much fun but it also means the show is almost over. I can't count how many times they've started the intro and I've been all "WOOO! Aw, shit. Already? WOOOOO!" I think my favorite instance of Graveyard was at the Stone Pony -- "He's not listening. Danny's not listening. He's just groovin' to himself. Just groovin' to himself. He's got aaaaall night." And I like hearing how Flans introduces Dan just because he mixes it up sometimes ("television's Dan Miller" is my personal favorite) although I do feel a little sad that he doesn't get quite as personalized an intro as Danny and Marty. I agree, though, I think it's because he gets much more attention during shows.

    I have a huge thing for the interactive parts of the shows where Flansburgh implores us to yell stuff at him ("I say Connecticut, you say Connecticut!" "I say Marty, you say DAMN!") so this being the song of the day is super exciting for me. WOOOO!

    ReplyDelete