Thursday, February 3, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 80

Today's song is...


The End of the Tour


Oh dear, sometimes the random song selector has a freaky way of choosing songs that fit my mood on a particular day.

This was the song that was almost ruined for me by reading interpretations on the wiki. Suddenly I couldn't listen to it without thinking about someone else's interpretation. I quickly learned not to read them any more. And fortunately, I've gotten past my hang-up on this one.

For whatever reason, in my mind, this song is always paired with Museum of Idiots. They just kind of go together. Not sure if it's because I heard them both live for the first time at the same show or what.

For me anyway, this is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs in the catalog. Sometimes I listen to it and it's so profound it shocks me. Today is one of those days.

Also, I believe Megan and I have agreed that if the band does not play this as the last song of their last show before they retire we shall never forgive them.

7 comments:

  1. Yup. That was the agreement. Also, I've decided that if I die at a reasonably young age, it will be played on repeat at my funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God. Oh God.

    I love this song. Fond memories of singing John Henry in the car this past summer...

    Can we not talk about their last show ever? (That's why I'd said "Oh God" earlier.) The only thing I can say is that I plan/hope to actually be at their last show before retirement. But I agree with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song. And I'm with Erin: please don't talk about the band retiring. I prefer to think that won't happen until after I'm dead. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a morose comment thread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, everyone. My morose mood spilled all over this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend and I were discussing TMBG's last show recently. We've decided that in such an event, we'll just have to try twice as hard to find the Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fantastic song. :) Lovely melody, and I particularly love the lyric "I was bent metal / you were a flaming wreck / when we kissed at the overpass".

    ReplyDelete