Thursday, March 15, 2012

Song of the Day - Day 486

Today's song is...


I'm Impressed


The only word I can ever come up with to describe this song is "crunchy" and it doesn't seem like a very musical adjective but that is how I hear it. I really enjoy this track as an opener because it sets the tone for the album and I think it flows beautifully into Take Out The Trash. For the first year or so I was hearing the band live I barely ever heard one song without the other and they are perpetually linked in my mind. This is a track that is much more about the music than the lyrics for me, though the sound and tone of the vocals are key to my enjoyment of the song.

I have to admit though, I find the music video for this song extremely disturbing. For the longest time I had never made it all the way to the end of the video because I got so turned off by the grinder in the arena. I remember being even more disturbed when I finally watched the whole thing, but I had obviously blocked it since I just watched it through again, and was once again surprised and appalled by the gruesomeness of the end. Though I gotta say, it is an oddly appropriate song for today, it being the Ides of March and all. As I find the end of the video very reminiscent of the betrayal of Caesar.

No comments:

Post a Comment