Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Song of the Day - Day 478

Today's song is...


Careful What You Pack


I checked this one about five times before I posted to make sure I hadn't used it already. But apparently I haven't. Knowing from the first time I heard it (which was the live version, rather than the album version) that it was an unused song from Coraline, I have never been able to separate the song from the Coraline story. It is a perfect song for the story. Perfect. The slightly creepy intro sets the perfect tone. I love how the choruses kind of burst out of the song, with the explosive drums and keyboard. And has anyone else ever noticed the phone ringing during the intro? Weird and yet kind of cool.

I've heard this one live a lot lately too. My favorite performance was in Richmond, the first show back with Dan Miller, after he was gone for a week. They were preparing to play the song, and Flans told Dan boastfully that he had learned his part on the song while he was gone. Dan gave him the go ahead to play it in his stead but Flans said no, he didn't want to step on Dan's feet. So they compromised and played the intro together, in beautiful harmony. It was my second favorite moment of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment