Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Song of the Day - Day 485

Today's song is...


Marty Beller Mask


This first time I heard this song I think I immediately cracked up. It is almost too humorously clever for its own good. The concept of Marty as Whitney Houston is both creepy and hilarious. And, in case you hadn't noticed, the drums on the song are pretty flipping' awesome, which is as it should be.

Through a strange twist of fate, I found myself at both the first and last performances of this song, on opposite ends of the country, in Minneapolis and Atlanta. Though I fully support the band's decision to retire it following Whitney's death, it is a shame to see such a great live piece halted in its prime. And as I stood in the Variety Playhouse on March 11th, with the news of Whitney Houston's death traveling like wildfire across the crowd, I found it both amusing and sad how many fans immediately drew the connection between Whitney and Marty and asked after his well being. But I have to say, I think the best text message I have ever received was the unsolicited one I got from backstage a few minutes later that read: "It's ok. No need to panic. I found Marty. He's OK." A joke, but also... oddly reassuring.

2 comments:

  1. I was just trying to explain "Marty Beller Mask" to my brother, who's never heard it before, with not very great results. I understand why it's been retired, but it's more or less a darn shame. But: great text, or greatEST text?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was definitely of the opinion it was greatEST text :-) I do believe I snorted out loud.

    ReplyDelete