Thursday, July 28, 2011

Song of The Day - Day 255

Today's song is...


She's An Angel


In my personal opinion, this is the most romantic song in the TMBG catalog. And it is a really, truly beautiful song. The sort of rolling melody. That pounding bass synth. The slidey guitar. The way Linnell's voice echos in the verses. Accordion and that classic drum machine. If one was to have a conversation about the brilliance of Linnell's song writing and did not include mention of this song they would be missing a key factor in their argument.

I love the live arrangements of this that begin with a minute of random noise and no one knows what they are playing. And then it turns into one of the most beautiful songs. Perfection.

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorites as well. An absolutely sublime song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is the last of the three TMBG songs I sung an cappella arrangement of back in the early '90s to hit SOTD (w/ Kiss Me Son Of God and Why Does The Sun Shine? for those of you keeping score for the FBI).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the studio version a lot, but I really love the live arrangements, especially when the verses are super slow and quiet before the band bursts into the chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The evolution of this song amazes me. She's An Angel has had so many live incarnations, and they're all lovely in their own ways. Admittedly however, I'd not heard this song live in person until last October (shocker). I love the old accordion performances, I love the version played in Gigantic-- an old standard-- where Flans sang a one-tone harmony in the second verse, I love the electronic, trippy-ish one they've been usually playing. I honestly think this is one of the songs that's had the most incarnations. I love that.

    ReplyDelete