Thursday, July 7, 2011

Song of The Day - Day 234

Today's song is...


James K. Polk


Absolutely everything I know about our 11th president (including the fact that he WAS our 11th president) I know from this song. Except for what I learned about him visiting his birthplace in North Carolina. Which I only did BECAUSE of this song so I think it's all rolled up together. Apparently enough people visit Polk's birthplace because of the song that the staff there were able to recognize my TMBG hoodie and asked if we were in town for the show.

This is also one of the earliest TMBG songs I was ever familiar with, before I even went to my first show (where they played this song) because my old roommate was a fan of this one. I didn't even realize it was a TMBG song until I heard it at the show.

Also, I really like this song. The fact that it is not only chock-a-block full of useful facts about Polk but is also just a great song musically is quite wonderful. I particularly enjoy the singing saw solo. And the confetti. Oh wait...I guess that's not actually part of the song. I've just grown so used to it I insert the "pop" of the confetti canon in my head.

I also love when Linnell talks to Dan Miller's guitar solo as if it was actually explaining something to him. It cracks me up. The one at the Kennedy Center last fall was the best if you need a reference.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, most of my knowledge of President Polk is from this song. Thank you, Linnell. In US History class, especially AP US History, I used to giggle when James K. Polk was mentioned.

    The confetti during live shows, very yes. Always. The fact that Linnell is reportedly related to Polk makes me smile too. And this was one of the first TMBG songs I learned on guitar, way back when.

    ReplyDelete