Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Song of The Day - Day 232

Today's song is...


This. Just this. Because today there is nothing else but this.



They Might Be Giants covers Chumbawamba


There is so much pure joy in this video. This captures everything I love about They Might Be Giants. The joy, the fun, the carefree attitude, the humor, the rock, the superb musicianship, and their ability get 5000 people to scream along with cheesy 90s cover with such wild abandon. This is love. This is joy.

Joy thy name is They Might Be Giants.


Can we talk about how Flansburgh nails the falsetto? And the KAOSS pad? And Dan's guitar solo? And what a brilliant idea it was to bring in all the back-up singers? And THE SUITS? Danny's bass that I have never seen before. The way Linnell leans his head back to scream "I get knocked down!" They all look like they are having so much fun. And I think that is what makes the video so perfect.

3 comments:

  1. And the coffee drink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first heard which song they were covering, I remembered that this was one of those songs where I know the name, and I know the chorus, I just can't put the two together. Last night around 1:30 I watched this and thought, "Ohhh, it's THIS song!" Not to say I wasn't pleasantly surprised.

    Flans' tie is great. Danny looks like he's incredibly pleased with the surrounding chorus of people, and Linnell is having WAY too much fun-- for some reason I'm always glad to see him really happy. Marty's doing his silly drumming face. And Dan is nonchalantly rockin' out.

    I rewatched it this morning to see if it was as epic as my sleep-deprived mind thought it was last night. And yep, it was. This series in general is pretty amazing, so I don't know why I'd expect less from these guys.

    And really, TMBG: you would pick this, of all the songs. "The other ones all made us uncomfortable" may be the best reasoning ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video totally made my morning. Way too much fun going on in that very small, round room. "He drinks a coffee drink." Ha! And the suits. :-)

    ReplyDelete