Thursday, July 14, 2011

Song of The Day - Day 241

Today's song is...


Never Knew Love


This is my second favorite of the Join Us preview songs, after Johnny. I was disappointed to find that so many others didn't care for it. It was Linnell's vocal that struck me initially. There is something about the tone he sings in that I really love. I also enjoy the electronic backdrop that his portion of the song is set to. At first I couldn't really make heads or tails of the lyrics in Flansburgh's half of the song and how they fit together with Linnell's half, but I think I get it now. The song has kind of this "love is amazing but it's also really frickin' hard" vibe to it. Have to say I totally agree with that. Some other things I really enjoy about this song. The backing vocals. The bass part on Flansburgh's verses. The kind of bell-sounding tone in Linnell's choruses. And the drums throughout the entire song, but particularly in Flansburgh's parts.

1 comment:

  1. This song has emerged as my favorite of the 4 preview songs (and I'll never quite forgive Fibber Island for knocking it out of the first round of I'd Like This Song to be Number One). I can't really put my finger on why I like it so much. It's sort of simple and maybe less interesting in some ways than many of their other songs (including the other 3 previews). Mostly, I just think the melody appeals to me. And I really love the equal John-John lead vocals -- maybe because to me all feels right with the world as long as those two are collaborating, and nothing more viscerally demonstrates that collaboration than shared lead vocals. And I think the lyrics are especially good too. So there you have it.

    And :-P to Fibber Island.

    ReplyDelete