Saturday, August 14, 2010

30 Things I Love About They Might Be Giants

I am 30 days away from my next TMBG show. As you can imagine I am looking forward to this more than just a little bit. I have only missed these guys like I would miss my right arm.

I thought it would be fun to do a little countdown of sorts, kind of my equivilent of marking days off on the calander.

So I am going to countdown 30 Things I Love About They Might Be Giants, one a day, between now and September 11th. They won't be in any particular order. It is entirely likely that many of them will end up getting posted after midnight (like this one) because that is usually when I am awake and motivated, but I will still count them as the previous day's entry.

So, in keeping with the puppet centric theme of the day...


#30 - The Avatars of They


TMBG 10/2/09 #7


Sock puppets at a rock show. Let me repeat. SOCK PUPPETS AT A ROCK SHOW. Menthol smoking, snack stealing, grouchy, bitter puppets at a rock show. I heart them from the tops of their coffee cup hats to the bottoms of their...oh wait, they don't have bottoms because they are sock puppets. Blue Avatar's constant obsession with his coffee cup hat and propensity for sticking his eyeballs in the camera. Green Avatar's random comments and occasionally visible human controller. I love that the puppets seem to go over better at rock shows than kids shows and their set often lasts longer. I love them for singing Lay Lady Lay at a family show. I love the James Cameron jokes that the kids don't get and the slave driver James Cameron who threatens to choke them if they don't sing. I love the way they stare at Dan during his solo and it really looks like they are staring at him even though their eyes are made of yarn. And I love them for resurrecting songs like Shoehorn and Stalk of Wheat. I am proud to say I was there for their first show and I hope to be there for their last if there must be one. I am thoroughly looking forward to whatever videos they are doing with them no matter what form they take.

It is our pleasure to serve you indeed.

Sea of hands, people.

2 comments:

  1. SOCK PUPPET JAIL!

    I love the Avatars. One of my favorite show things ever was Flanspuppet crying in Asheville. "The show hasn't been going over so well and it just means so much to us that you came." And in Richmond, when he suggested that they play Lincoln in its entirety and started beatboxing the beginning of Ana Ng. SO MANY GOOD MEMORIES. I am tearing up a little bit just thinking of them.

    "You'll see the truth if you look into my left eye. Do you see? Well then why are you looking... AT MY RIGHT EYE? Fools!"
    "He meant STAGE left, you idiots!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget when we all sang happy birthday to Green Avatar! ;)

    My other favorite thing that Blue does, (the eye thing being #1, DUH), is when he quickly "passes" the camera while singing and only looks at the lens as an afterthought before he moves out of sight. It gets me EVERY TIME.

    ReplyDelete