Monday, August 23, 2010

#21 - Broom

Proving it takes very little to amuse me, I adore Broom. He's a broom. With a face made of tape. That changes color depending on what type of tape they picked up when they went to put his face on. And occasionally still has dust and dirt on his head from being an actual broom that comes off in poofs when Flans swishes his head. I find this endlessly entertaining. I love the silly voice Flans uses for Broom and how he is completely visible while operating Broom but pretends that he isn't. I love how often Broom can completely crack up Linnell. Some of my favorite Broom moments include his MC duties at the recent Baltimore show, the Celebrate Brooklyn show last summer where they stopped mid-song to explain that the meaning of servitude was "a server with attitude" and the Tarrytown show where we actually saw a tech run out and purchase "Broom" at a local hardware store before the show. And my very, very favorite was his rare appearance for adults at LPR last May when he felt like Bob Saget and said "fuck" a whole heck of a lot. Oh, Broom. The poor put-upon piece of stage equipment who wants to be a star and never, ever gets around to cleaning up the confetti. I'll see you at your next gig at Pianos.


5/9/09a #18

5 comments:

  1. tdk said...

    Incidentally, I believe that "I Am Not Your Broom" is what made the Johns first start to understand the kind of crazy Internet following that They have, even back in 1997 when They had only just launched tmbg.com.

    http://www.tmbg.com/QCAM/proQcm.cgi?song=I_Am_Not_Your_Broom_(Demo)&album=QUICK+CAM&qcam=1
    The demo was the first of its kind to appear there (link), and was clearly just John Linnell goofing around with a broom and his new quickcam. However, soon afterward you couldn't go to a show without hearing people shouting for the song. I recall John & John being quite startled at how much demand there was for the little ditty, and I even saw a couple people show up with a broom before They gave in to the peer pressure and added it to the set.

    It's great that They resurrected and breathed new life into it for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the link TDK posted, and it wouldn't play. :( Maybe I'm need to download something? Unless he just posted it to illustrate what he was talking about..

    Anyway, I want to experience this!:

    "And occasionally still has dust and dirt on his head from being an actual broom that comes off in poofs when Flans swishes his head. I find this endlessly entertaining. I love the silly voice Flans uses for Broom and how he is completely visible while operating Broom but pretends that he isn't. I love how often Broom can completely crack up Linnell."

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm need"?! Something is wrong with me..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, you might need to download a newer version of Quicktime (or a version if you don't have one) to get it to play. Or depending on your computer you might be able to watch it on your Direct From Brooklyn DVD if you stick it into a DVD-Rom drive on a computer. It is in a folder marked Home Movies for Mac. I have always been able to play the PC ones on my Mac but I don't know if the Mac ones will play on a PC.

    This must be my week for rediscovering videos I had long forgotten about since I had forgotten all about the original broom video having not watched it in ages. Just one more reason to be sad about all the years of show going I missed out on. Less Broom for adults for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I know they won't play on my PC...I tried to view them again just the other day. But there's a Mac in the computer lab here on campus and I'm so bringing Direct From Brooklyn to school on Friday! :D I didn't realize that was the same video.

    I've also been looking into that ABCs DVD/CD with bonus videos on Amazon. Why are things on there so cheap?! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete