Monday, August 30, 2010

#13 - The Puppet Johns

"I've got a mustache."

"But I've got...googles."

                                                                                                                                    

"Hey John, what's your favorite animal?"

"Groundhogs."

"Really?"

"Well, thats what it says here."

                                                                                                                                   


"What band were you in?"

"I was in Hot Tuna."

"Oh right, I thought so."

                                                                                                                                   


You've probably realized by now I like the goofy kid stuff. And of all the goofy kid things I think I love the Puppet Johns most of all. The Friday Night Video Podcasts were one of the few pieces of TMBG output that I got to experience as they happened, being a late comer to the TMBG fan club. And I am oh, so fond of them. The silly jokes, the goofy costumes, and the occasional bits of humor that are clearly meant for the adults in the audience. Perhaps most appealing, the puppets are really just miniaturized, knitted versions of John and John, not just in appearance but in personality. They often riff off each other in the same fashion the Johns do on stage. I admit, I was quite disappointed when the puppets didn't appear on the Here Comes Science DVD. I hope we haven't seen the last of them.

Here is one of my favorite episodes of the Podcast.





Incidentally, I was re-watching the Podcasts in preparation for this entry and it occurred to me to wonder about the music playing in the background while the puppets are performing. It seems to be primarily guitar and keyboard. I wonder if the Johns recorded it separately themselves and then laid it on as a track, or if Dan Miller is hanging around in the studio while they record, providing background music? I suppose someone has to be directing, right? Hmmmm. Something to ponder.

Also, was anyone else as shocked as I was to realize how large those puppets are when you first saw the picture of the Johns holding them? They are huge compared to the little hand puppets I always pictured.

3 comments:

  1. "You're gonna have to tell ME what the video is, 'cause I don't have a script!" Smash cut to credits. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    As for your last question: yes! I imagined them to be much smaller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, that is my favorite part of the video as well :-)

    ReplyDelete