Wednesday, August 25, 2010

#18 - Foam Fingers

How cool is it that a rock band gives out giant foam fingers to their fans? Not only fun and silly, but generous too. Sure, they've been mostly reserved for the kiddos lately but I went to my fair share of shows where it was "foam fingers for all." I admit I have been greedy with the giant hands. I believe, between the boyfriend and I, we have 10, mostly orange, with a few yellow. There have been green ones at recent shows and I covet one. Seems like a silly thing to covet but there it is. I have fond memories of waving my foam hand enthusiastically at my first stage-side show at The Egg while I danced and bounced around like a looney.

Here is a picture of my portion of our hand collection in my room. If you stuck you hand in them, you would find that many of them are stuffed with confetti. And yes, they are displayed with my Lord of the Rings action figures, thank you very much. For I am a geek, and proud of it!


Foam Fingers

4 comments:

  1. I have six versions: Yellow, Orange, Kid-Size Orange, Green, Red and also Red with white lettering, though not in the stylish new font you have there.

    The first show I attended where They gave away free hands was 7/23/05 at Penn's Landing in Philly. It may have been the first time that they were given away anywhere. I had previously seen them at the merch stand for five bucks each.

    Anyway, at Penn's Flansy was personally giving away the foam hands at a second table next to the merch. He was totally hawking them, yelling out for everybody to come and get their free hands.
    Incidentally, this the first opportunity I had to show him my first (Flansburgh autograph) tattoo, which was only a few weeks old.

    Well, it turns out that even Uncle Sam is a fan. He was wearing not one but two foamy hands, though when I asked him to pose for a shot he put one of them behind his back.

    During the show Flansburgh asked for a show of hands, though as you can see, the sun was starting to set by that point.

    Thus concludes the foam hand early history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh also, before you ask.. John's wearing a "Big Lebowski" shirt that reads, "CAN GET YOU A TOE"; They had played Lebowski Fest the previous day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the history lesson :-) That should totally be a sidebar in the great book of band history from the fan perspective that I have just decided we should compile.

    The stylishly fonted hand is my most recent, collected at the last show I attended in Baltimore. In addition to the print being slightly different, it is also made out of a thinner foam. Different manufacturer perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting my first in September at the NYC shows. CAN'T WAIT.

    ReplyDelete