Tuesday, August 31, 2010

#12 - Stripes, Plaids And Geeky T-Shirts

There is something incredibly appealing about the fact that, right down to their wardrobe, the band never tries to be more than what they are on stage. They don't have costumes or some other gimmick to help them get into character. They just walk on stage wearing the same jeans and t-shirt they put on when they got up in the morning. Grounded and comfortable.

On the other hand, the guys are so consistent in their fashion choices, I suppose they might as well be costumes of a sort. One of my friends had the idea to make a list of "You Know You've Been To Just Enough TMBG Shows When..." things (because there is no such thing as too many) and having one of them be "you can name three items of clothing worn by each band member on a regular basis." Personally, I find this aspect of going to shows very comforting. This probably sounds creepy though I don't mean it to be, but I enjoy having that moment at the start of a show when I think, "Oh good, Linnell is wearing the red and navy baseball shirt again. I like that one." I think most fans can identify with the pleasure of seeing them in the same piece of clothing they wore at their first show or their favorite show or their last show or whatever, even if it's just while looking at pictures.

TMBG 10/10/09b #16

Flans can usually be counted to to wear either a polo or a button-up of some sort, frequently in plaid. And then there are those cardigans, which is just about the least glamourous thing one could wear at a rock concert and yet they suit him to a tea. And I think I can count on one hand the number of shows in the last two years at which Flans has not worn those green sneakers with the orange stripes.

Flansburgh's Shoes 1/31/09

Linnell goes even more basic, nine times out of ten, sporting a plain or striped T-shirt. We make jokes about him having an entire closet full of that red and black striped one. I remember being amused at one he was wearing at a show last spring which he had obviously worn so often while playing that the bottom of the accordion strap had rubbed a hole in it.

TMBG 11/29/08 #20

And then there is the whole array of wonderful T-shirts I've seen them all sport. From Linnell's caffeine molecule one, to the one Curt had on at The Stone Pony with the question mark with the world as the dot. I love fun T-shirts. In fact, one of my biggest resentments is that I can't wear gloriously geeky tees to work every day. A few of the others that I enjoy are Danny's Sapphire Bullets shirt (am I correct in thinking that one is fan-made? Does anyone know?) and his OK Go one (because I love OK Go and it's the one with the OK Go logo that reminds me of the TMBG logo I have branded myself with). Also Marty's red tee with the floating water tanks on it. If anyone can explain that one to me, please do, because I've been trying to determine the significance for ages.

5/9/09b #36

TMBG 10/17/09b #11

2/28/09 #8

TMBG 12/31/09 #13

Also, though I haven't seen it in quite a while, if we are discussing endearing clothing choices, special mention needs to be made of Dan's grey knit hat. It's adorable. (Psst, you know the Lego versions of the band I mentioned in my Fan Confessions? Lego Dan is wearing that hat.)

1/31/09b #8

Thus concludes my mini-ode to the band's wardrobe. That could have been so much more fangirlish than it was.

P.S. Before you cry foul, a whole separate entry shall be devoted to the red pants.

7 comments:

  1. "You Know You've Been To Just Enough TMBG Shows When..." <-- I want to see this list. Or, if it hasn't been made, it should happen.

    Aw, I love the red/black striped tee! And I miss Linnell's terribly beat-up Chuck Taylor All Stars too. Have I mentioned them before? Ah well. I also like his new striped sweatshirt. Adorable. Linnell + stripes = bff. Seriously.

    Flans actually dresses kind of cute. In the sense that is suits him (most of the time). I have some exceptions.

    DANNY'S RED PANTS. He was wearing them when I had a conversation with him at my first TMBG show, though I suspect it's not all that rare for him to wear them. Can't wait for that entry.

    And no mention of the Homsar shirt? :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks TDK! I had heard that someone had made Sapphire Bullets shirts and I put two and two together but I never knew who it was. It is a fantastic shirt. Excellent design work. Wish I had been around at the time to get one. Do I actually know Bryce? If I don't I feel like I should....

    And Erin, while the list may have some items on it, it was never officially compiled. I was thinking when I mentioned it that it should me made into an actual thing, whether here or on the forum. It was Stacy's idea so I will consult with her and see if we can get it going.

    And there is no mention of the Homesar shirt because I have never actually seen it. Or at least I don't think I have. I've only seen pictures. Plus, and this is probably sacrilegious to say but, aside from the bits with TMBG music I have never watched any Homestar. I know, terrible fan, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear that we witnessed Danny purchasing the fabled Red Pants in October '98 at a store called "Dr. Denim" across from the TLA, where They were playing. We saw him walk in and come out with a transparent bag holding the pants, and he wore them for the first time for the show that night. People seem to think that it's unlikely that he's been sporting the same pair for nearly twelve years, but I don't think that it's so far-fetched.
    Danny also like to wear an Oppenheimer shirt, which I've seen on him much more often then the okgo one. He's wearing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about Flansburgh's green cardigan, as you know, but I love Danny's Sapphire Bullets shirt and the navy/red Linnell baseball tee as well. Flans has an orange hoodie that I really love, too. He wore it over his black and white striped button-down in Boston and with the green sneakers it was like the trifecta of Flans garb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought my first plaid shirt after watching videos of Flans in something similar. I regret nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have stated that I also enjoy Flans' black 9:30 Club jacket but that orange hoodie is nice too.

    And you are correct, I have seen Danny in that Oppenheimer shirt far more often that the OK Go one, I just never knew it was an Oppenheimer shirt. Or actually, you are reminding me that I think I figured out at one point that it was an Oppenheimer shirt and then subsequently forgot that I had figured that out. That fact makes the shirt much more interesting, but I still like the OK Go one. Also, the black one that says Security on it with the star.

    And I feel like I should move all discussions of the red pants to the red pants entry, however, I will say that while I might be willing to believe that Danny has in fact been wearing the same pair for 12 years, there have most definitely been at least two pairs. My evidence for which I shall share in the actual red pants entry.

    ReplyDelete