Monday, August 16, 2010

#27 - Stage Banter

Let's face it, half the fun of going to a show is the stage banter. It doesn't matter how many times you've seen them do Flood (ahem, 12), every show is made unique by the candid dialogue on stage. I am pretty sure the Johns could have had a pretty successful career as a comedy duo if the rock thing didn't work out for them, but then I suspect at least some of the reason the rock thing DID work out is their on stage antics.

From Flansburgh's biting observations on venues, fans and the general state of the union, to Linnell's stream of consciousness ramblings on whatever happens to strike him at the moment, I am usually just as entertained by what goes on between songs as during them.

I think part of the reason the raps (as Dan Miller used to call them) work so well is that really a lot of them are basically just two friends riffing with each other, only there happens to be an audience. My very favorite moments are when one of them manages to crack-up the other, or even better, when they manage to crack-up the entire band. I also love the recurring jokes, especially those that pop up several nights in a row, often without explanation at the later shows (if ever). I feel like my reward for going to so many shows is being in on those jokes.

So bring on the talking part, whether the topic be current events, beards, the last horrid venue they played, the current status of Dan's citizenship or the meaning of the H. in Danny's name. I promise I will laugh in all the right places. And the wrong ones.

BRAINS!!!!!!!!

P.S. Stay tuned for today's Audience Participation, also on the topic of stage banter, coming shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment