Wednesday, August 18, 2010

#25 - Audience Participation

I am a fan of audience participation (as long as it does not involve me being singled out and humiliated in front of a large group of people). I like feeling like I am a part of what is going on and the solidarity of doing something (usually quite silly), with a large group of strangers.

At a TMBG show, I sort of feel like the audience participation parts are my roll in a piece of theater. I feel it is my civic responsibility as a front row fan to execute this roll to the best of my ability so as to act as an example and motivation for all those standing behind me. Also I am afraid to say no to Flans when he tells me to do something.

I also love knowing what my part in the show is. I guess it makes me feel like a real fan somehow. I know when to clap and jump and stomp my feet. I can holler back "drink" and demand cake on cue. I have learned to count to nine and clap on the back beat even when the music stops. I will always wave as the lion says goodbye. I dutifully chant for Danny and scream until my throat is sore for Marty. When pressed I will even do jazz hands and conga. Do I look like an idiot doing these things? Probably. Do I care? Not in the least. Does it make me feel good to bounce in the air with 500 other fans? Every frickin' time.

Incidentally, I have lately been listening to a recording of the Apollo 18 show at LPR from a couple years back. I must say that, while I did not appreciate it at the time because I was so distracted by the obnoxious asshole behind me, that show has some of the best uninstructed audience participation I have ever heard. There are entire songs where the audience is providing the harmonies and the backing vocals. There is the stellar See the Constellation where the audience provides the "hey" samples in all the right places. Mammal, where you can beautifully hear Linnell sing "Mammal" and the audience reply softly, "mammal". Turn Around, where the audience provides the backing "round" in each chorus. And my personal favorite, in the middle of Fingertips when the audience is singing along so purposefully that they beat Linnell to the punch on "Mysterious Whisper" so loudly that he stutters and comes in halfway through the word "mysterious" in an attempt to catch up with the crowd. I realize that these aren't quite true instances of audience participation in the sense I was referring to, but I have to say I am so proud to have been part of a crowd that was that familiar with every note of every song, even if I was too much of a newbie at the time to participate myself.

Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap, Stomp, Stomp, Stomp, Stomp, Jump, Jump, Jump, Jump, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to think that as the front-row fans have been to so many shows, and know what to do, it's basically our duty to participate and set an example. It's almost like we're 'planted,' planned intentionally as part of the show. We have expectations. :3 It feel good.

    Somewhat-relatedly, I always sing the harmonies to songs! It often gets Linnell to smile at me. :D

    ReplyDelete