Monday, August 23, 2010

#20 - John Linnell's Hair

Ok, let's all just get this out in the open and admit it. Everyone has favorite Linnell hair. Yes, even you tough looking guy in the back. You know you do. Even the most devout Flansburgh fans among us have an opinion on the matter. Let's face it. The man just has wonderful hair. Obviously, the world recognizes this, as Linnell is one of only a very few people to have an entire Facebook group dedicated to his hair (believe me, I checked).

I try to steer clear of getting too overly fangirlish on this blog (which may be a bit relative), but it slips out sometimes and this entry simply can't be helped. I apologize for my deplorable lack of self control when it comes to discussing Linnell's hair.

Here I go, damning myself.

My favorite Linnell hair style has everything to do with the appropriate length. Typically, I think it hits it just before he gets it cut. It can't be too short (yikes) and definitely not too long (double yikes). It has to achieve the optimum level of floppiness when he jumps up and down during The Guitar or Birdhouse in order for me to rule a particular show or photo to have perfect Linnell hair. It comes and goes. Excepting the extremes, (either too long or short) his hair looks wonderful no matter what but occasionally when the stars align it looks simply phenomenal.

To give you an idea of how much I pay attention to this, last year I had to work during one of the band's TV appearances and asked my boyfriend later how it was. He told me the performance had been excellent but that he had to warn me that Linnell had gotten a haircut. "Bad," I asked? "Not as bad as in February," he replied, "but it's pretty short." "Well, at least it has a few weeks to grow out before our next show," I said.

While part of me recognizes how sad this conversation truly was, there is another part that appreciates how well my boyfriend knows me, that the state of Linnell's hair would be a matter of concern. The fact that he, as a decidedly straight male, can recognize good Linnell hair when he sees it, would seem to prove my point that everyone has favorite Linnell hair.

To give you a visual reference, the They'll Need a Crane video has perfect hair. The Puppet Head video too. I actually think Birdhouse is a little short and The Guitar is far too long. I can live with Statue Got Me High but it's not my favorite.

I believe my least favorite cut I've seen is this one (the aforementioned cut from last February) :

2/28/09 #36

While my most favorite I've seen in person is this:

TMBG 7/11/09 #19

I could come up with a dozen other pictures that are lovely but I don't like cribbing other people's shots. I'm sure you get the idea without me waxing lyrical for hours on end. Suffice it to say, you know that Facebook group I mentioned? I am so a member.

3 comments:

  1. You know, at the time, that long Guitar hair was pretty cool. I guess you had to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't commented on my blog in the year I've been writing and when you finally do it is to defend Linnell's hair in The Guitar video? That is priceless.

    You know, if you read the forum more regularly you would have seen my ah-ha experience the other day when it finally dawned on me that the whole reason you never minded the Apollo 18 era hair was because that was how he was wearing it when you first started following the band. That has honestly never occurred to be before then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I think I love the comments to this post almost as much as I love the blog entry itself. :D

    And yikes that's short!

    I completely agree with you on the subject of Linnell's hair, in case I haven't expressed my opinion on it enough. :P

    Also, is it an actual group on Facebook or is it a "page" or a thing you "fan" or whatever they're calling it these days?

    ReplyDelete