Thursday, December 22, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 402

Today's song is...


Narrow Your Eyes


One of my favorite Flansburgh songs. This one is beautiful and wrenching. There are a lot of Flans' lyrics I don't get or that just don't grab me and then sometimes he gets them so right it's scary. I don't know how many times I listened to this song without really hearing it before it suddenly hit me one day how gut-wrenchingly honest it is. In my mind this is the Flansburgh mate to They'll Need A Crane. With a great bass line and accordion part and some nice tambourine tossed in too.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man the accordion part gets me everytime. It sends me into a trance I guess you can say. And yeah, this is definitly one of Flans's finest works. My favorite part is " Now let's toast the sad cold fact , our love's never coming back, and we'll race to the bottom of a glass."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a Top 10 song for me. The only thing I want to say about it though is to call attention to the "They say love is blind / I don't think you're blind" chord progression, which moves from V of V, to V, to (ooh!) V of ii, but surprise resolving to II (or V of V) (oooh!), and then collapsing back to IV, etc. in the pre-chorus. It's a beautiful progression.

    ReplyDelete