Sunday, December 4, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 384

Today's song is...


Metal Detector


I used to be indifferent to this song, and then I heard Linnell talking about it on Studio 360. He was telling the story about how he got the idea from a book written by a somewhat delusional individual about treasure hunting in Casco Bay, which is near where I grew up. And all of a sudden everything clicked for me. And ever since, I have really loved this one. Sometimes just knowing the story behind a song makes all the difference for me.

I also really fell in love with the sonics of it. All those electronic noises, mixed with the heavy guitar, accordion, drums and bass. But what I really love is the version with the horns. That one just sounds so cool. And the one and only time I heard the song live, that was how I heard it. I wish it hadn't been so early in my fan-hood and I could remember it better, because I would have appreciated it so much more later on. This one is definitely high on my list of songs I've heard once that I would desperately like to hear again.

"Every seashell has a story to tell if you're listening." Great line. Really great line. And "discarded folderol" is a fantastic phrase. John Linnell really has a way with words (*stating the obvious*).

1 comment:

  1. I adore this song, and I always have. I first found it musically interesting, but then some sleepy morning at 6:45 am I fell in love with the words, namely the "every seashell has a story to tell if you're listening" verse.

    Sometimes I remember how clever TMBG lyrics are.

    ReplyDelete