Saturday, November 19, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 369

Today's song is...


The Mesopotamians


A little while back, I wrote about Nine Bowls of Soup and how it was THE song that turned me into the TMBG fan I am today. But I probably never would have gotten there without this one either. In college, most of my friends were archeology majors and I took a few courses myself. So Sargon, the Mesopotamians king, came up an awful lot in our group conversations; a lot more than you might think. He was kind of a group joke. So this first time I heard this song (which was actually at it's live show premiere, though I didn't know that at the time), I was absolutely floored that the band had written a song that mentioned him. In a weird way, it seemed as though the song was written just for me. And for months afterward, as I was very, very slowly becoming interested in TMBG, I would ask to hear this song and bop around like a fool to it.

It's true that I eventually heard it so much live that I got a little sick of it, but I got over that in the eight month show hiatus in the spring and now I'm back to loving just as much as I ever did. This one holds a very special place in my heart.

3 comments:

  1. The Else was released the summer I saw my first TMBG show. I was familiar with their catalogue before The Else, and somehow the album seemed out of place to me. This was, until the last song. The Mesopotamians was the one song on The Else I felt like was true to TMBG. Which, in retrospect, is kind of sad. But I remember driving home from my first show listening to this and feeling fulfilled because of the happenings that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mesopotamians is my Nine Bowls of Soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite songs on one of my favorite albums. :)

    ReplyDelete