Sunday, November 13, 2011

Song of the Day - Day 363

Today's song is...

Don't Let's Start


I am kind of shocked I got all the way to 363 before this song came up, especially considering how many of the big songs came up very early on in the process. Needless to say, this is one of my favorites and pretty much always has been. It contains some of my very favorite lyrics set to a hoppin', catchy tune. And for some reason I have always adored the chorus: "D, work destruction, O - ver an overture, N, do I need apostrophe, T, need this torture." It's simply brilliant. Even just the rhythm of it is perfect.

The video for this song is also tied for my favorite video with the Crane one. It's just so much fun watching the Johns run around spastically on a map of New York.

And one of my favorite favorite things I'd watching this song live, because it is performed with so much energy. Flans and Danny just tend to go nuts on the bouncy and the enthusiastic guitar string plucking. I can still vividly picture this being performed at the soaked show in Brooklyn earlier this year, with Linnell belting his soul into the mic, Flans windmilling his arm around his guitar, Marty whamming on the drums with all his might and Danny spinning in circles while he bounced up and down like a kangaroo. So much love, guys. SO MUCH LOVE.

3 comments:

  1. I love how crazy Flans goes when they play it. I couldn't pick a single favorite line from this song because they are all my favorite. For real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, live performance-wise, it's always seemed to me like the guitar was playing itself and Flans was hanging on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite lyric is definitely, "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful/Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful." This was one of those songs I discovered when I fell in love with TMBG's music. I'd grown attached to Ana Ng a little more, but my fascination with Don't Let's Start stemmed from that one line. I have seen it played live, and it is just as energetic as you'd said. It's wonderful to hear some of my earlier favorites performed live.

    ReplyDelete